Davis Expected to be in Oxnard

Shot twice in a drive-by shooting, Cowboys safety Keith Davis plans on being ready for training camp. The team reports to Oxnard, Calif. on Thursday with the first scheduled activity set for Friday.

Davis was shot in the thigh and the back of the head while driving in his Chevrolet Impala on Interstate 635 around 5 a.m. last Sunday. One bullet grazed the back of his head while the other is still lodged in his left thigh. Police believe the assailants were targeting Davis' car.

With his injuries not life threatening or career threatening, Davis was released from the hospital on Tuesday. Davis was simply thankful for being alive. He said he is hopeful of playing football as soon as possible.

"We are pleased the way things have progressed," agent Curtis Stephens said. "We are cautiously optimistic he is going to be ready for camp. What he is able to do is up to the doctors and the Cowboys. They will work through that. But based on what we know there is nothing that will impede him athletically or to cause him limitations."

The team is buying Davis' story for now -- that he was the innocent victim in a shooting for the second time in three years.

In 2003, Davis was shot three times outside a Dallas topless club. Even though he was an innocent bystander, Davis was subsequently waived because he violated coach Bill Parcells' ban on going to strip clubs. He returned to the team in 2004, becoming the best special teams player before earning a starting job at free safety last season.

Davis started 15 games last season at free safety. Although the Cowboys looked for upgrades at free safety in the off-season -- signing veteran Marcus Coleman and drafting rookie Pat Watkins in the fifth round -- Davis remains the best answer at the position.

It is one reason they matched a two-year, $3.1 million restricted free-agent offer from Saints. The deal included a $1.2 million roster bonus, which Davis has already been given.

CowboysHQ Top Stories