Winners of three of their last four heading into Thursday's Thanksgiving game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the formerly up and down and dysfunctional Cowboys are suddenly one of the hottest teams in the NFC.
Only the Giants (6-3) and the Bears (9-1) have better records than the Cowboys at 6-4.
Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said the team is playing it best football of the season and have a chance to get better after a huge confidence-boosting victory.
"That was a big win for us," Parcells said. "I told the team, this ought to tell them something about what they are capable of doing. If we keep playing like this I think we have a chance to do something."
For a Cowboys team that sold out to win in 2006, doing something means making the playoffs and embarking on a Super Bowl run.
Doing so in what could be Parcells' final year would finally mean the veteran coach accomplished what he was hired to do in 2003 -- make the Cowboys super bowl worthy again.
An up and down start had the Cowboys concerned that their work would be for naught -- considering the struggles of Drew Bledsoe and the drama with receiver Terrell Owens.
But the Cowboys have been energized by the quarterback switch from Bledsoe to upstart Tony Romo.
Romo continued to play beyond his experience level against the Colts while out-dueling the great Peyton Manning.
Romo completed 19 of 23 passes, including 10 of 11 in the second half while directing two fourth quarter scoring drives for the comeback victory.
"This was a big win," Romo said. "To come out here with a win against a team like this in an environment like this is special. This is one you look back on and say it was special. But this isn't our goal. Our goals are much higher."
Owner Jerry Jones, who brought Parcells here following three 5-11 seasons under Dave Campo, believes this one game can lift the Cowboys to a Super level if they continue to play as they did.
"This was a very important win," Jones said. "I've been a part of a super bowl team that was built by winning a game against a top opponent like this. This is that kind of win."
* K Mike Vanderjagt missed two field goals against the Colts and was visibly upset after the game. The Cowboys are very concerned about their kicking situation. Vanderjagt has missed five kicks this year.
* QB Tony Romo threw for 225 yards against the Colts game. He has now thrown for 220-or-more yards in each of his first four starts. Gary Hogeboom is the only other quarterback in club history to throw for 220-or-more yards in his first four starts (Hogeboom accomplished the feat in five straight games). For the season, Romo has a 100.0 quarterback rating, tops in the NFC, and third in the NFL. In four career starts, Romo is 87-of-124 passing (70.2%) for 1,088 yards, 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions for a quarterback rating of 103.8.
* RB Marion Barber recorded his second multi-touchdown game of the season with two rushing touchdowns. He is now tied for third in the NFL with nine rushing touchdowns. Barber's nine rushing touchdowns are the most by a Dallas running back since Emmitt Smith had nine during the 2000 season.
* WR Terry Glenn didn't miss a beat after sitting out last week's game with a knee injury. He keyed the Cowboys win with six catches with 78 yards, all in the second half.
* S Roy Williams recorded his team high fourth interception against the Colts. Known for hitting rather than pass defense, Williams killed a Colts scoring drive with an interception in the end zone in the first quarter.
'Boys On a Roll After Win Over Indy
CowboysHQ Top Stories
Welcome To Playoff Football, Dallas CowboysDallas managed to slip out of Minnesota with a 17-15 victory that serves as the Cowboys' introduction to 'playoff football'
CowboysHQYesterday at 1:54 AM
Cowboys Rob the Bank 17-15, Improve to 11-1The Dallas Cowboys earned their 11th win of the season, but read below to see how it wasn't in a pretty fashion whatsoever.
CowboysHQThursday at 9:43 PM
Exclusive: Gregory's True Cowboys StatusExclusive: 'Ugly Baby' Randy Gregory's Drug-Suspension Status With The Dallas Cowboys
CowboysHQWednesday at 2:48 PM
Cowboys Fantasy 5 - And Scoop On ClaiborneHere are my Top 5 Dallas Cowboys Fantasy Picks for Week 13 against Minnesota. ... Plus The Injury Update Featuring Scoop on Morris Claiborne & Sean Lee
CowboysHQWednesday at 9:55 AM