He may not even have to wear extra padding.
"Barbarians don't get hurt," joked fullback Deon Anderson. "They get bruised."
Helping ease their concern about Barber is the play of rookie running back Felix Jones. The first-round pick from Arkansas rushed nine times for 62 yards and a touchdown against the Browns.
He said he will be ready for the extra load if need be against the Eagles.
"Everybody prepares the same," Jones said "Everybody has to know what to do, because you never know when it's your time to go in and play. I feel like I'll be ready."
What's most exciting for the Cowboys is pairing Jones and Barber together. Jones' speed and quickness make him a perfect complement to Barber's hard-charging style.
He is simply a big play waiting to happen. He had runs of 11, 18 and 22 yards against the Browns. He also had a 28-yarder called back.
"When he came into the game, we were way ahead, and that's a different factor when you're that far ahead," coach Wade Phillips said. "He's a good-looking back to me. ... He has patience when he runs with the football, and when he sees the hole he gets through it."
MORE NOTES: QB Brooks Bollinger has been signed to give the Cowboys three quarterbacks on the roster. He will back up Tony Romo and Brad Johnson. The Cowboys are grooming him to be a possibly successor to Johnson as Tony Romo's primary backup.
"I think seven or eight teams only had two quarterbacks, and we were one of those teams," head coach Wade Phillips said. "We had the same case last year, but we feel better about having a third quarterback and a guy that can come in and also learn our system. We think he's talented and does a lot of good things."
* QB Tony Romo showed his toughness against the Browns, playing with a gash under his chin but never coming out of the game. Although he was flawless as usual, his toughness was most impressive to his teammates.
* WR Miles Austin will return to practice on Wednesday and could play against the Eagles on Monday. Austin has been sidelined since Aug. 16 with a sprained right knee.
* WR Sam Hurd has had the protective boot removed off of his ankle and he will start running Wednesday. Hurd, who suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason final against the Vikings, is still two games away from returning to the lineup.
* CB Terence Newman hinted that he will play against the Eagles Monday. Newman has been sidelined since training camp with a groin tear. He sat out the season opener against the Browns.
* OG James Marten was claimed off waivers by the Raiders. The Cowboys had hoped to sign him to the practice squad.
* RB Tashard Choice got the bulk of the carries late in the game against the Browns. With Marion Barber out, Choice was the one who closed out the game, not backup Felix Jones. Choice is the every-down backup to Barber because he can run inside and outside. The Cowboys prefer Jones to keep his niche role as a change-of-pace back.
Marion the Barbarian
CowboysHQ Top Stories
Cowboys 25 Reunion: Jimmy + Jerry (+ Barry)!The day started with Barry Switzer tumbling down the stairs. The night ended with Jerry Jones climbing up the stairs. And on the platform in between? Jimmy Johnson, the…
Cowboys 1st +10: Combine Crunch To NFL DraftEach weekend I provide 10 quick hits on the Dallas Cowboys. The NFL Scouting Combine is next weekend and I share my memories of my time in Indianapolis in this edition of First and…
CowboysHQYesterday at 9:44 AM
StarCast: Dishing On Cowboys Week (+ Summer)StarCAST: Dishing On The Cowboys Week - And The Cowboys Summer
CowboysHQFriday at 12:36 AM
Cowboys Elliott 'Detained By Police'? NopeDallas Cowboys Star Ezekiel Elliott 'Detained By Police'? Nope - But The Scrutiny Is Never-Ending
CowboysHQWednesday at 6:48 AM