Dolphins back at .500

The Dolphins continued their hot streak on Sunday, but they had to survive a close call against the rival New York Jets before pulling out a 24-20 victory at Dolphins Stadium. The Dolphins had to rally from a 17-10 second-half deficit and then had to stop the Jets after they reached the Miami 14-yard line in the final minute.

The Dolphins clinched the victory when safety Yeremiah Bell, who had a big game, knocked away Brooks Bollinger's pass on fourth-and-5. It was the fourth consecutive incompletion after a penalty for 12 men on the field had given the Jets a first-and-5 at the 14.

As he did against Buffalo, Sage Rosenfels came off the bench for an injured Gus Frerotte to rally the Dolphins.

Rosenfels directed two touchdown drives and hit Marty Booker with a 50-yard game-winning touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

That came shortly after Ricky Williams scored on a 23-yard touchdown run to tie the game at 17-17.

Williams' touchdown came after rookie defensive end Matt Roth recovered a Cedric Houston fumble with the Jets having all the momentum after a 60-yard touchdown pass from Bollinger to Doug Jolley had given the Jets a seven-point lead.

The Jets' last drive was kept alive by a highly questionable pass interference call on Reggie Howard that gave New York 34 yards when they faced a fourth-and-13 from their own 23-yard line.

The Dolphins started the game fairly well, taking a 7-0 lead on their second possession when Frerotte hit Chris Chambers with an 8-yard touchdown pass.

Olindo Mare increased the lead to 10-0 with a 32-yard field goal in the second quarter, but the Jets answered with a 4-yard touchdown pass from Bollinger to Laveranues Coles.

After a Jets interception, they tied the game 10-10 late in the first half on a Mike Nugent field goal.

The victory helped the Dolphins snap a three-game losing streak and kept alive their faint playoff hopes.

In the grander scheme, getting back to .500 is a major accomplishment in itself.

Dolphins Report Top Stories