Hill, who is a former seventh-round draft pick, had 89 tackles last season while playing for the Raiders.
In other free agency news ...
• The South Florida Sun-Sentinel has reported that San Diego's Justin Peelle is expected to sign with the Dolphins as a backup tight end. A solid blocker, the 6-5, 255-pound player from Oregon had 11 catches last season.
• Also according to the Sentinel, former Vikings receiver Kelly Campbell is expected to sign with Miami.
Campbell, a teammate of new Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper while in Minnesota, was out of football last year due to a torn quadriceps muscle. He played well though in 2003 and 2004 as a backup receiver and kick return man.
But Campbell comes with some baggage. In February of 2005, he was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and theft by receiving stolen property involving a handgun. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune has reported that he reached a deal with the District Attorney to avoid a trial.
• The Tacoma-News Tribune reported that San Francisco outside linebacker Julian Peterson will visit with Miami today. Peterson, who played for head coach Nick Saban at Michigan State, was a Pro Bowl selection in 2002 and 2003.
• Former Dolphins quarterback Gus Frerotte is rumored to be close to signing with St. Louis to reunite with new coach Scott Linehan.
• Miami has continued talks for offensive lineman Tom Ashworth and defensive tackle Sam Adams, according to both of their agents.