A Game Effort

The NFL's first regular season game overseas didn't produce terribly exciting football because of a steady rain and poor field conditions, but for the Dolphins it was another disappointing day. The Dolphins played the streaking Giants pretty even, but couldn't overcome a couple of key mistakes and the result was a 13-10 loss.

The Dolphins lost two fumbles, one leading to a Giants field goal, and another bobble by Cleo Lemon sabotaged a running play on second-and-goal from the 2 and led to Lemon being sacked for a 9-yard loss.

For the Dolphins, who came into the game 0-7 and missing several players, that's all it takes.

The Dolphins outgained the Giants and totally shut down the New York passing game, holding Eli Manning to a paltry 58 yards passing.

But Manning scored the only touchdown of the first half on a 10-yard scramble, and that helped New York carry a 13-0 lead into halftime.

After squandering the goal-to-go opportunity in the third quarter and settling for a Jay Feely field goal, the Dolphins got a late touchdown when Ted Ginn Jr. caught a 21-yard pass from Lemon for his first NFL score.

But Feely's onside kick line drive quickly squirted out of bounds, giving the Giants the ball and ending the game with the Dolphins out of timeouts.

The truth is the Giants appeared in control the whole way because of their running game, which totaled 189 yards, and an anemic Dolphins offense.

The Dolphins actually began the game with an impressive drive, but it stalled at the New York 29 when Lemon's pass to Justin Peelle on third-and-2 fell incomplete. Feely then was called on to attempt a 48-yard field goal, which was quite a task because of the rain and slippery field.

Feely missed wide right, snapping his streak of 24 consecutive successful attempts.

The Giants responded with a drive that ended with Lawrence Tynes' 20-yard field goal. The drive was helped by an unnecessary roughness penalty on Jason Allen.

But Allen, making his first NFL start, made a couple of big plays in the second half, causing a fumble with a hit on Brandon Jacobs and later intercepting a Manning pass.

Unfortunately, the fumble was recovered by Giants offensive lineman Rich Seubert and the interception on the very next play was nullified by a defensive holding penalty on Jason Taylor.

The Dolphins defense did get a takeaway that gave them some life in the second half when Matt Roth sacked Manning and forced a fumble that was recovered by Taylor.

A 22-yard run by Chatman quickly followed, setting up Feely's field goal.

But in the end there just weren't enough big plays by the Dolphins, who now stand 0-8 as they head into their bye next weekend.

Dolphins Report Top Stories