Martin On The Move?

As we told you Saturday, the decision to keep four tight ends on the roster was related to concerns about a knee issue involving veteran David Martin. That became even clearer on Sunday.

Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst Ed Thompson is reporting that the Dolphins have reached an injury settlement with Martin and he will be released, this according to a league source.

With Martin gone, the Dolphins would be left with returning starter Anthony Fasano, Joey Haynos and rookie John Nalbone, who we indicated Saturday was initially told he would be released before the Dolphins had a change of heart.

Martin was the No. 2 tight end last season, and one would expect Haynos to take over that role in the season opener at Atlanta. It's not entirely impossible that the Dolphins will check the waiver wire to see if a veteran becomes available who might be a better option than Nalbone, the fifth-round pick from Monmouth.

Martin was entering his ninth year in the league and had been recovering from a sports hernia injury, but the reason for his settlement is related to a knee injury. He played in all four preseason games and did not seem to show any lingering effects from the offseason surgery.


Dolphins Report Top Stories