There is a lot of intrigue in this Falcons coaching search, with more questions than answers - at least right now.
- Does team owner Arthur Blank really favor Rex Ryan, whom he wanted last time but went with general manager Thomas Dimitroff's recommendation of Mike Smith?
- Does Dimitroff have any say in this process, and if he does will that mean Josh McDaniels, whom Dimitroff worked with in New England, could be a leading candidate?
- Will Blank simply interview all these candidates and then make the decision, or could one grab his interest so much he decides to pull the trigger and make an offer, especially on a coach that might be in demand?
Let's also look at what we know about the coaching search, according to various reports:
- Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase interviewed with Atlanta on Friday, January 2. He also spoke to the 49ers on Friday. Gase then interviewed with the Bills and Bears on Saturday.
- McDaniels interviewed with the Falcons Friday as well. He termed it as an "initial conversation" and said it went "fine." McDaniels then interviewed with San Francisco on Saturday.
- Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn interviewed on Saturday. Quinn also met with the Bills on Saturday and talked with the 49ers last Tuesday and the Bears on Friday. Quinn has also talked with the Jets.
- The Falcons interviewed an internal candidate Sunday, as special teams coach Keith Armstrong stated his case for the job. It is not known if Mike Nolan and Mike Tice, two former NFL head coaches, will get an interview.
- Former Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone interviewed Monday. Marrone is thought to be the leading candidate with the Jets, but reports said his interview with the Jets brass Saturday did not go well.
- Tuesday Rex Ryan will get his turn in front of Blank. Ryan reportedly met with the 49ers on Sunday for their opening.
- Teryl Austin, the Lions' defensive coordinator, will get his interview Wednesday. The Lions were knocked out of the playoffs Sunday by the Cowboys. San Francisco has also requested an interview.
- On Thursday, Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles will interview with the Falcons. He will also talk with San Francisco, Chicago, Oakland and the Jets (Wednesday).
Listen to “The Bill Shanks Show” from 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WPLA Fox Sports 1670 AM in Macon and online at http://www.foxsports1670.com/. Follow Bill at twitter.com/BillShanks and email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coaching search continues
Falcon Insider Top Stories
NFL changes overtime, roster movesThe NFL passed a few resolutions Tuesday at the owners meetings, some of them pretty significant in the way the game and rosters are managed.
State of the Broncos: Offensive LineMile High Huddle brings you State of the 2017 Broncos — a position by position evaluation of the roster. Today's edition focuses on the offensive line. Publisher Chad Jensen…
Mile High Huddle11:07 AM
Falcons Trade up for Takkarist McKinleyThe Atlanta Falcons made a trade with the San Francisco 49ers to address one of their biggest needs.
Film Room: Understanding What McKenzie OffersThe Broncos selected wideout Isaiah McKenzie in the fifth round. As one of the stars of Broncos OTAs, what does McKenzie bring to the table? Colby Valdez examines the film.
Mile High Huddle06/14/2017