Here is a recap of the rumors as we are now two days away from the start of free agency.
- Along with Arizona, division rival New Orleans is now being mentioned as a possible destination for Falcons free agent linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. With more teams being linked with Weatherspoon, it signifies his pending departure. While it is not bad if the often-injured Weatherspoon leaves, the Falcons never want to see a player leave for the arch-rival Saints. New Orleans has also been mentioned with free agent cornerback Robert McClain.
- The Giants are reportedly interested in Falcons free agent running back Antone Smith, according to NJ.com. The Falcons would like Smith back, but it’s doubtful they would get into a bidding war for someone they have all but guaranteed will never be their feature back. The Falcons could have given Smith more carries after his impressive long touchdown runs early last season but chose not to.
- Atlanta was mentioned by Rand Getlin, NFL Insider for Yahoo Sports, as a team interested in Chiefs’ defensive back Ron Parker. Getlin tweeted that seven teams are interested, with the Jets, Bucs, Giants and Chiefs listed. Parker will be 28 years old this season. He has spent the last two seasons in Kansas City and made 15 starts in 2014.
- Brooks Reed is a linebacker the Falcons have interest in. Reed is 28 years old and has spent four seasons with the Houston Texans. Reed has started 52 games out of 60 played in his four years in the NFL, with 14.5 sacks. Reed is 6-3 and weighs 254 pounds. With Weatherspoon possibly gone, Atlanta’s interest in Reed could heat up even more.
- Any interest Atlanta might have had in Seattle cornerback Byron Maxwell is dead now with his comments Sunday that he is headed to the Eagles. Maxwell played for new head coach Dan Quinn with Seattle but was expected to get one of the biggest contracts in free agency.
Listen to “The Bill Shanks Show” from 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WPLA Fox Sports 1670 AM in Macon and online at http://www.foxsports1670.com/. Follow Bill at twitter.com/BillShanks and email him at email@example.com.
Falcons linked to Brooks Reed
Falcon Insider Top Stories
31 Most Important Bruins: #9 Jaelan PhillipsJuly 19 -- Coming in at No. 9 in our countdown is our second true freshman to make the cut, and he'll be counted on for a huge impact...
Bruin Report OnlineYesterday at 4:08 AM
Fantasy News With Adam Ronis: July 18Senior Fantasy Football Expert Adam Ronis looks at the most interesting news across the NFL today from a Fantasy perspective!
Scout FantasyTuesday at 11:28 AM
QB Checklist: Trevor Siemian's Path To StartWhat does Denver's underdog quarterback have to do to win the starting job?
Mile High HuddleMonday at 1:06 PM
Atlanta Falcons Offensive Stat ProjectionsLooking forward to the 2017 Fantasy Football season, Senior Expert Shawn Childs provides offensive stat projections for every team in the NFL.
Scout FantasyMonday at 9:00 AM