Giants dealing with MRSA outbreak

The New York Giants are doing everything in their power to eradicate a MRSA outbreak that occurred at the team's Quest Diagnostic Training Center.


New York Giants tight end Daniel Fells has been diagnosed with a MRSA infection and was placed on season-ending injured reserved this week. Fells, 32, was getting treatment from the team’s training staff for his chronic ankle injury when it was discovered that he had contracted a staph infection.

MRSA, a serious staph infection, can be life-threatening in some cases and the Giants deemed Fells’ case serious enough to shut him down for the rest of the season. New York’s tight end was hospitalized and is expected to make a full recovery.

Meanwhile, the Giants are trying to take every precaution to prevent the spread of the bacterial infection which cannot be treated with penicillin.

It’s safe to say that the team is taking the matter very seriously.

"We are working with infectious disease specialists, and we have defined protocols that we are following in consultation with the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network and local infectious disease specialists," team spokesman Pat Hanlon noted. "Those protocols are being followed carefully.”

Head coach Tom Coughlin answered questions about the MRSA outbreak and assured reporters that safeguards are in placed to eradicate the spread of the bacteria and the situation is under control.

“This morning, the NFL and the Players Association wanted us to address it,” noted Coughlin. “We had Ronnie Barnes, we had team doctors, we had the person in charge of our facility in here to talk about the way the cleaning process is normally underway and what we have done in addition to that as well. So the players asked a couple of questions, very good questions. But we are concerned about Daniel Fells, we’re very concerned about that. We still do not know the reason for the infection or where it came from. But the players, we’re all obviously very supportive of Daniel. I think most of the questions got answered this morning. The guys seemed to be able to go right back to work.”

The Giants Beat Top Stories