Those MIA for Big Blue included QB Kerry Collins, RB Tiki Barber, TE Jeremy Shockey, DE Michael Strahan, CB Will Allen, LT Luke Petitgout, C Chris Bober and RT Ian Allen. Here's a synopsized view at what unfolded at M&T Bank Stadium the night of Aug. 28: c * Jesse Palmer started slowly, got better and ended up doing more than enough to hold onto the backup QB job. He completed 10-of-19 passes for 91 yards.
"He started out rough, but he wasn't getting a lot of help," Head Coach Jim Fassel said. "We weren't doing a lot of things to help anybody out early on, but Jesse came on and started to do a lot better. I was happy he was able to hang in there and turn things around."
"It was good," Palmer said. "I thought I did better. We started off slowly but the guys kept fighting."
* Will Peterson was beaten by Ravens WR Travis Taylor for a 49-yard TD.
* Keith Washington was flagged for roughing the passer, setting up a Ravens field goal.
* Ron Dayne might have cemented his spot on the gameday inactive list with a first-quarter fumble.
* Special teams ace David Tyree made his first big STs play of the preseason, recovering a fumbled punt in the second quarter. That set up New York's first points of the game, a 36-yard Matt Bryant field goal. Tyree later forced another STs turnover, with Quincy Monk recovering the free ball. That led to Dorsey Levens' 1-yard TD run.
* William Joseph's fumble recovery resulted in another Bryant FG.
* Wes Mallard blocked a punt shortly before halftime, which preceded Palmer's five-yard scramble and dive for a touchdown.
* Ryan Clark cemented his roster spot as the club's fourth safety with a leaping fourth-quarter INT, which he returned 74 yards.
* Delvin Joyce added a six-yard TD run in the final period.
* New York had a difficult time catching the ball early on, as Dayne, Jim Finn and Visanthe Shiancoe all dropped easy passes.
* Newly-signed snapper Carson Dach snapped very well and also recovered a first-quarter fumble on special teams.
Giants top Ravens, win first of '03
The Giants Beat Top Stories
The Giants Beat Podcast: Week 13 PreviewThe Giants Beat Podcast takes a look ahead at a crucial game in the Steel City.
The Giants Beat2:46 PM
Shane Vereen back at practice with GiantsBig Blue will likely be getting a big weapon back to help Eli Manning and the offense eclipse 30 points for the first time this season.
The Giants Beat1:55 PM
Odell Beckham Jr. eager to return puntsAdd returning punts to the long list of things the Giants are asking Odell Beckham Jr. to do so far this season.
The Giants Beat6:51 AM
Giants defensive line living up to the hypeBig Blue's pass-rush has been wreaking havoc and finally producing at the level that fans expected prior to the season.
The Giants BeatYesterday at 9:41 AM