Those MIA for Big Blue included QB Kerry Collins, RB Tiki Barber, TE Jeremy Shockey, DE Michael Strahan, CB Will Allen, LT Luke Petitgout, C Chris Bober and RT Ian Allen. Here's a synopsized view at what unfolded at M&T Bank Stadium the night of Aug. 28: c * Jesse Palmer started slowly, got better and ended up doing more than enough to hold onto the backup QB job. He completed 10-of-19 passes for 91 yards.
"He started out rough, but he wasn't getting a lot of help," Head Coach Jim Fassel said. "We weren't doing a lot of things to help anybody out early on, but Jesse came on and started to do a lot better. I was happy he was able to hang in there and turn things around."
"It was good," Palmer said. "I thought I did better. We started off slowly but the guys kept fighting."
* Will Peterson was beaten by Ravens WR Travis Taylor for a 49-yard TD.
* Keith Washington was flagged for roughing the passer, setting up a Ravens field goal.
* Ron Dayne might have cemented his spot on the gameday inactive list with a first-quarter fumble.
* Special teams ace David Tyree made his first big STs play of the preseason, recovering a fumbled punt in the second quarter. That set up New York's first points of the game, a 36-yard Matt Bryant field goal. Tyree later forced another STs turnover, with Quincy Monk recovering the free ball. That led to Dorsey Levens' 1-yard TD run.
* William Joseph's fumble recovery resulted in another Bryant FG.
* Wes Mallard blocked a punt shortly before halftime, which preceded Palmer's five-yard scramble and dive for a touchdown.
* Ryan Clark cemented his roster spot as the club's fourth safety with a leaping fourth-quarter INT, which he returned 74 yards.
* Delvin Joyce added a six-yard TD run in the final period.
* New York had a difficult time catching the ball early on, as Dayne, Jim Finn and Visanthe Shiancoe all dropped easy passes.
* Newly-signed snapper Carson Dach snapped very well and also recovered a first-quarter fumble on special teams.
Giants top Ravens, win first of '03
The Giants Beat Top Stories
Scouting the NFL Draft: Dalvin CookThe FSU product is arguably the most versatile and dynamic back declaring for this year's NFL draft.
The Giants BeatYesterday at 10:08 AM
Scouting the NFL Draft: Christian McCaffreyThe Giants Beat examines one of the top running backs in this year's draft class.
The Giants BeatYesterday at 10:04 AM
Scouting the NFL Draft: Ryan RamczykThe big-bodied offensive lineman could be the exact kind of bully the Giants need in the trenches.
The Giants BeatFriday at 9:34 AM
Giants sign veteran RB Shaun DraughnThe journeyman running back is excited to be back in the playoff hunt.
The Giants Beat03/22/2017