Shockey, who said he was "very excited" to be back in action, was loving life in the Giants locker room as he prepared to hit the field after missing practically all the preseason – and New York's four exhibition games – due to offseason foot surgery and a hamstring pull suffered during camp.
"I like his attitude," Tom Coughlin said. "I would like to have him practice a couple of days and we'll see how that goes before any announcement is made. He will practice today in a limited role and certainly I am looking forward to seeing how he does today and how he feels after practice and tomorrow."
* Despite newcomer Mike Cloud's penchant as a successful short-yardage back, Coughlin said that Ron Dayne will remain in that role for New York. Expect that the change soon.
* Coughlin said that he had yet to name starters at the three positions up for grabs. TGI's best guess says Nick Greisen will land the MLB spot, Jason Whittle the LG opening and that Brent Alexander will be the free safety when New York's defense first takes the field in Philadelphia.
* It also remains to be seen whether CB Will Allen will be among New York's starting 11 since he's been suffering from a knee ailment.
Allen said he felt better but Coughlin stated, "He has not gotten the green light to practice."
* Coughlin also said that newly-signed WR Mark Jones will likely handle New York's punt return duties in Philly. The 5-9, 185-pound Jones is a rookie out of Tennessee.
* The Giants signed six players to their eight-man practice squad. Four players – DE Khaleed Vaughn, LB Jim Maxwell, WR Chris Davis and LB T.J. Hollowell – were recently released by the club. TE Mark Anelli was let go by the Bears and OL Tyson Clabo the Broncos.
Shockey returns to work
The Giants Beat Top Stories
McAdoo: Beckham needs to control his emotionsNew York's head coach Ben McAdoo acknowledged on a conference call that his star player was out of control for his tantrum on the sidelines.
The Giants BeatTuesday at 7:33 AM
Scouting the Enemy: Josh NormanThe Giants Beat scouts Washington's top cornerback and how Big Blue can attack the pro bowler.
The Giants BeatMonday at 8:59 AM
Scouting the Enemy: Kirk CousinsThe Giants Beat provides a scouting report for Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins.
The Giants Beat09/24/2016
Insider Debate: Josh Norman vs Odell BeckhamThe Giants Beat's lead writer and Breaking Burgundy's expert debate the age-old question of who will get the upper-hand between Odell Beckham Jr. and Josh Norman.
The Giants Beat09/24/2016
Giants Inside Scoop: Week 3 EditionGet the inside scoop for The Giants Beat's experts about what to keep an eye on when the Giants take on the Minnesota VIkings on Monday night football.
The Giants Beat6:53 AM