The Latest on Jones

Giants rookie safety Chad Jones was involved in a serious auto accident in New Orleans yesterday morning that resulted in emergency surgery on his lower left leg and clouded his NFL future.

Jones, the team's third-round pick in April's draft, lost control of his SUV around 6:15 a.m. Central time and crashed into a pole. Jones was extricated from the vehicle and transported to LSU Trauma Center, according to Jeb Tate, a spokesman for New Orleans Emergency Medical Services. Tate said Jones was in "guarded condition," which ranks between stable and critical on the New Orleans EMS scale.

Jones, 22, underwent several hours of surgery on his leg after Jones' tibia and fibula were shattered, and arteries and nerves were exposed, according to a report by WWL-TV in New Orleans.

"I think (the surgery) went smoothly," said Rocky Arceneaux, Jones' agent, when reached by phone. "Obviously, they won't know (the long-term prognosis) for a while, but everything I'm hearing is good."

Arceneaux also told the New Orleans Times-Picayune, "I don't see... based on the type of athlete that Chad is that anything would prevent Chad from walking. And from running.''

"The surgery was successful," said Jones' father, Al, after emerging from the hospital last evening. "The rehab is going to take a while."

It was not clear what caused Jones to lose control of his vehicle on a six-lane thoroughfare with a streetcar line on the west side of the city, police spokeswoman Shereese Harper told the Associated Press.

New Orleans police said Jones will be cited with "careless operation of a vehicle" and that toxicology tests would be conducted. Harper also told WWL-TV two passengers in Jones' car were treated at the scene for minor injuries but were not transported to the hospital.

The Giants made only a brief statement late this afternoon, saying they "continue to gather information on Chad's condition." The team said the front office has remained in contact with Jones' family and that the organization's "primary concern is for his health and well being."

Jones' crash occurred nearly a month after defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka was involved in a motorcycle accident that left Kiwanuka's brother in critical condition with a severe arm injury. At the end of this month's minicamp, Giants coach Tom Coughlin said he didn't mention Kiwanuka's accident to the team, though he reminded the players to make sure "we are all safe."

The veterans were dismissed after minicamp, but Jones and the rest of the rookies remained at the Giants' complex this week for a few more days of meetings and workouts.

Jones is a former two-sport star at LSU who was selected by the Astros in the 13th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft. Jones turned down Houston's offers and chose to pursue an NFL career. Two weeks ago, Jones officially became a professional player by signing a four-year, $2.615-million contract that included a $825,965 signing bonus.

Jones was expected to see limited playing time this season — provided Kenny Phillips made a full recovery from microfracture surgery on his knee. Jones was also a candidate to replace the injured Domenik Hixon as the team's punt returner.

The Giants Beat Top Stories