Clearing The Smoke
Recently, there has been much speculation concerning several quarterback issues including Mark Brunell's stalled contract talks and rumors of Jacksonville's front office taking a quaterback with their No. 8 selection...even talk of them trading up in order to do so!!!
I say it's nothing more than a big, fat smoke screen!
Still unsure??? Consider this.
1) I feel Brunell's new contract has been stalled purposely for that very reason. Brunell probably is even aware of this and is playing along with the game, knowing his contract will get done shortly following the draft.
2) The Jags showing so much interest in drafting one of the top quaterbacks is simply a ploy to get other teams (such as Baltimore) to trade up into the top seven in order to get their guy. The Jags recent off-season acquisitions (headed by Hugh Douglas) leads me to believe they are not in a re-building mode, but in an attack mode...which drafting a quaterback in the first round this year and letting Brunell go just doesn't jive.
3) Garrard is a great fit into Musgrave's West Coast Offense (having played it in college) as was shown by the recent mini camp. He will continue to be groomed behind Brunell and may very well become our quaterback of the future and will prove to be an even better back-up for Brunell this year than last year.
4) The Jags will not trade up in this draft for any quaterback or any other player. They will stay put at No. 8 and take a best available player such as Trufant or Gross (I'm currently leaning towards Trufant), or they may even choose to trade down for additional first day picks.
5) The Jags may still draft a quaterback this year, but not with their first pick.
I must admit...they are doing an excellent job with their smoke screen, and they would have even done better if they had hid their enthusiasm over Garrard's success in mini-camp. Hopefully they will succeed in having another team trade into the top sevenin order to get their guy. If they do, we'll have to applaud our new front office guys and give them their due props!!!
I have to agree with the Ohio Players funk...
"I'm about to choke from the smoke...need to tighten up my stroke" - Fire
...can you feel it???
Bill "spooboy" Cavanaugh
- Jags Insider
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-25Ben Freid gives you hot takes, a man who should be the next Jags GM/Head Coach and of course Jags vs Titans.
Jags IllustratedTuesday at 4:46 AM
Name Five QBs Worse Than Blake BortlesIt sounds crazy to say out loud, but you'll find out quickly just how hard it is to name five NFL quarterbacks who are worse than Blake Bortles. I know, it just doesn’t seem right.…
Jags IllustratedMonday at 2:00 PM
A Tale Of Two QuarterbacksThere was a franchise quarterback sighting in Jacksonville on Sunday at Everbank Field! Unfortunately for most of the fans that attended the game, it was not Blake Bortles.
Jags IllustratedMonday at 8:21 AM
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-24Ben Freid gives you his Top 5 takeaways from last night's game. Is Blake Bortles a franchise qb? Also exclusive Marqise Lee interview.
Jags IllustratedMonday at 4:50 AM
Dis-GUS-tingThere is not much to say about this Jags vs. Raiders game. It was embarrassing from start to finish. The score ended 33-16 and the score seems closer than is actually was. The Jags…
Jags IllustratedSunday at 12:00 PM