Thursday, August 28th, 6:00 p.m.
Kickoff Temperature: 87 degrees, 0% chance of precipitation
Line: Just don't bet this game.
The Jacksonville Jaguars close their preseason slate of games as they take on the HBO darlings, the Atlanta Falcons. We are going to look at some of the roster battles still going on and what we will be watching.
What To Look For
1. Final audition at center. We expect all three players vying for the starting role, Jacques McClendon, Luke Bowanko and Michael Brewster to all receive playing time and the battle for the starting job is likely not yet decided (unless one of them doesn't play).
2. Backup running back. Jordan Todman hasn't shown much and Denard Robinson has looked better in each preseason game. If Robinson and Storm Johnson continue to play well, Todman can not only lose the backup job, but also his roster spot.
3. Some WR's need to step up. With a likely dose of backup quarterbacks in the second half, it will be difficult to judge the wide receivers by the stat sheet. We will watch separation, route running and speed on Thursday as there is likely one or two roster spots left at the position.
4. Can Branch step up? Maybe we're picking on Andre Branch a bit, but aside from his highlight interception he simply hasn't been good. He will likely be playing against the Falcons backup offensive line and he needs to show that he deserves a spot on this defense.
5. Last looks at Blake. Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley said that tonight's game just might be the last we see of Blake Bortles for this season. Although I don't believe that to be the truth, this may be the last we see of good quarterback play in Jacksonville.