Recap: Jaguars downed by Jets, 17-13
Jaguars (0-1) fell to the New York Jets tonight, 13-17 in their first preseason game of the year.
Quarterback Blake Bortles was pleased with the balance of the offense, "I think the guys up front did a great job and Chris [Ivory] and TJ [Yeldon] ran the crap out of the ball.”
- Bortles was 6/7 on passing attempts for 105 yds and no turnovers. His night with the first team offense was successful after scoring 10 points on two possessions. After Chad Henne's night of relief ended, rookie Brandon Allen took charge of playing time with free agent arm Max Wittek not seeing the field once.
- Chris Ivory recorded his first TD as a Jaguar while returning north to take on his former team. He finished with 30 yds total on 6 runs and a catch. The balance we expected in the backfield was also noticeable as T.J. Yeldon looked solid with 34 yds on 4 carries and a catch.
- Allen Robinson was unstoppable, looking every bit of his Probowl form from a season ago... and then some. The receiving corps as a whole was spectacular, as Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, and Tony Washington all had highlight reel catches.
- Julius Thomas couldn't reel in a Bortles pass for his lone redzone opportunity; he did however have a nice block. None of the other TE's really stuck out, but Neal Sterling ran some crisp routes in the second half.
- The offensive line didn't suffer anymore injuries... So there's that.
Head Coach Gus Bradley wasn't thrilled with the defensive play early on, "We have a saying, ‘Don’t guess, don’t over analyze, just do your job.’ We got away from things. We guessed a little bit, but then they calmed down."
- Rookie Yannick Ngakoue recorded a sack on first team defense when many people were expecting Dante Fowler to "steal the show." The future off the edge is bright. On the roster bubble, Bjoern Werner also recorded a sack tonight.
- Nick Marshall made a nice play in the secondary to break up an offensive pass, along with a few tackles through out his time on the turf. In his second season with the Jaguars and at the cornerback position, the team will need to see continued growth from the former Auburn Quarterback. As far his camp competition, he flashed compared to Dwayne Gratz, Demetrius McCray, etc.
- Telvin Smith led the team in tackles with 5, and while rookie Myles Jack didn't light up the stat sheet- he was everywhere on the field.
- Kicker Jason Myers was perfect on all of his kicks tonight (2/2 FGs, 1/1 PAT). The Jags struggled to stop the Jets return men, Jalin Marshall & Jeremy Ross, who broke two long runs (84 yds and 51 yds respectively.)
(A) Pregame Injury List: Kelvin Beachum, Rashad Lawrence, Shaq Evans, Jonas Gray, Brandon Linder, Kadeem Edwards, Josh Wells, and Sheldon Day did not play.
(B) In Game Unofficial Injury List: Allen Hurns (seemed mobile after icing knee/leg on trainer table), James Sample & Tony Washington (Concussion Symptoms)
The Jaguars face Jameis Winston & the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Jacksonville next weekend, kickoff on Saturday is set for 7:30 PM here in Jacksonville.