1. Don't always watch the ball. A lot happens in passing drills. The offensive line blocks, receivers run routes while hopefully covered by corners and safeties, and the quarterbacks deliver the football. It is natural to follow the ball and follow the results of the play. Take time out to watch the lines work and watch the receivers work against the corners. Notice which players can get open and how quickly.
2. Wide receivers must step up. With the injuries to Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams, the Jaguars will need a wide receiver to take charge and be "the man." Will it be Troy Williamson or Mike Walker? Will Matt Jones live make the most of the final opportunity the Jaguars gave him? Don't forget about John Broussard.
3. Ignore special teams. There's no pressure or hitting on special teams in training camp. Punters (or punter in the Jaguars case) should be booming the ball, and the kicking game should be accurate. If it's not, it's probably no big deal at this point.
4. The passing game is usually sloppy. The passing game takes timing and the team hasn't put enough work in to get that timing early on. Although the Jaguars have an ascending quarterback in David Garrard, the defense should be ahead of the offense for the first few weeks.
5. Wear sunblock and a hat. It's normally pretty brutal out there and it's easy to get burned. Also, if you're headed to the Saturday evening practice, get there early and stop by the JagNation tent. We'll be giving away hot dogs and taking donations for JagsTix4Kids.org, providing tickets to children's groups that normally would not be able to attend games.
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of Sports Media Interactive, covering multiple teams in the National Football League, NCAA, and National Basketball Association. Charlie is a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports and Sirius NFL Radio, and has been featured on the NFL Network. Charlie is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: JagNation.com
Jaguars Training Camp Tips
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-25Ben Freid gives you hot takes, a man who should be the next Jags GM/Head Coach and of course Jags vs Titans.
Name Five QBs Worse Than Blake BortlesIt sounds crazy to say out loud, but you'll find out quickly just how hard it is to name five NFL quarterbacks who are worse than Blake Bortles. I know, it just doesn’t seem right.…
A Tale Of Two QuarterbacksThere was a franchise quarterback sighting in Jacksonville on Sunday at Everbank Field! Unfortunately for most of the fans that attended the game, it was not Blake Bortles.
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-24Ben Freid gives you his Top 5 takeaways from last night's game. Is Blake Bortles a franchise qb? Also exclusive Marqise Lee interview.