Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Detroit Lions
Sunday, November 9, 2008, 1:00 p.m.
Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Records: Jacksonville 3-5, Detroit 0-8
Series history: Jaguars lead, 2-1. Last meeting Jaguars won 23-17 (OT) in Jacksonville in 2004.
Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Get started early. The Jaguars need to come out with early energy and get the Detroit crowd thinking number one draft pick, not win number one. The Jags were flat as can be early on last week and they dug too deep of a hole to get out of.
2. Cover Calvin. He's their best playmaker and he must be accounted for on every snap.
3. Stop the run. It's been a while since the Jaguars did that effectively, and with Detroit having QB issues, they will likely try to lean on the run with Kevin Smith and Rudi Johnson.
4. Play in front of the sticks. When the Jaguars offense has 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and more than 10, they are almost completely ineffective. If the offense doesn't take sacks and avoids holding penalties, they will be okay.
5. Make plays on defense. Dropped interceptions and offsides penalties have killed the Jaguars in recent weeks. It is likely that whoever plays QB for Detroit will throw the Jags secondary some passes, they need to catch them.
What to look for:
1. Look for the Jags offense to get back on track. If it doesn't happen Sunday, it's probably not going to happen this year. The Lions have a terrible defense and the Jags must take advantage and be dominant.
2. Matt Jones for 6. Either Jones will score a touchdown or get six or more receptions.
3. Calvin Johnson for 6. Same thing for one of the best WR's in the game.
4. Fred Taylor to have a big day. Taylor has had a disappointing season thus far and with Barry Sanders being honored at halftime, look for Fred to be extra motivated.
5. Look for the Jags to force three turnovers. New quarterback, young team, bad team. That should equal turnovers.
Final Preview: Jaguars at Lions
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
Know Your Enemy Week 7: Oakland RaidersJacksonville is coming off of a big time comeback win over the Chicago Bears and are probably amped for the opportunity to play against a team that leads the AFC West, the Oakland…
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 12:47 PM
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-21Host Ben Freid gives you his score predictions for Raiders vs Jags, and Gus Bradley's rebuilding influence.
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 6:50 AM
A Leg Up :An Interview w/ Punter Brad NortmanWhen the Jaguars parted ways with their 2012, 3rd Round Draft Pick Bryan Anger in the offseason, many expected a downgrade in talent at the punter position. Instead, Jacksonville…
Jags IllustratedThursday at 2:30 PM
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-20Jags ex girlfriend is coming to town. Was it a mistake? Also Roy Miller interview thanks to Harp on Sports on Sports Radio 930.
Jags IllustratedThursday at 4:55 AM