Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Houston Texans
Monday, December 1, 2008, 8:30pm
Records: Jacksonville 4-7, Houston 4-7
Series history: Texans lead, 7-6. Last meeting, Jaguars won 30-27 in overtime in Jacksonville.
Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Limit big plays. The Texans offense is explosive and they can strike quickly with Andre Johnson and Steve Slaton. Houston has bogged down in the red zone and the Jaguars must make them go the length of the field to score.
2. Open it up. Teams have stacked the box to stop the run against the Jaguars offense and they need to be more dynamic in the passing game. They paid big money to David Garrard and Jerry Porter, it's time to use them.
3. Win special teams. The Jaguars must keep Jacoby Jones from getting a big return and they must get some big returns of their own. Special teams won the first meeting between these two teams, and it may decide this meeting.
4. Get started early. It's Monday night football and the crowd will be ready to go for Houston. Jacksonville needs to keep them quiet early with some offense.
5. Don't hold the ball. David Garrard has held the ball entirely too long this season and he must get it out sooner to keep his team in front of the sticks.
What to look for:
1. Look for Rashean Mathis to line up against Andre Johnson. The Jags only chance to stop Johnson is with Mathis, but he still may not be enough.
2. Look for a lot of three-step drops. The Texans live with the short passing, three-step drop offense and look for that to continue.
3. Look for Owen Daniels to step up. The talented Texans tight end has a matchup advantage against any of the Jaguars linebackers.
4. Look for Slaton to get shut down. The dynamic Texans rookie will be a main focus of the Jaguars on Monday night. He should run for less than 60 yards.
5. Look for lots of red. It will be another "Battle Red Day" for the Texans, and usually that results in a Jaguars loss. Look for the Texans to play some inspired ball.
Jaguars vs Texans Final Preview
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-25Ben Freid gives you hot takes, a man who should be the next Jags GM/Head Coach and of course Jags vs Titans.
Name Five QBs Worse Than Blake BortlesIt sounds crazy to say out loud, but you'll find out quickly just how hard it is to name five NFL quarterbacks who are worse than Blake Bortles. I know, it just doesn’t seem right.…
A Tale Of Two QuarterbacksThere was a franchise quarterback sighting in Jacksonville on Sunday at Everbank Field! Unfortunately for most of the fans that attended the game, it was not Blake Bortles.
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-24Ben Freid gives you his Top 5 takeaways from last night's game. Is Blake Bortles a franchise qb? Also exclusive Marqise Lee interview.