Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Houston Texans
Monday, December 1, 2008, 8:30pm
Records: Jacksonville 4-7, Houston 4-7
Series history: Texans lead, 7-6. Last meeting, Jaguars won 30-27 in overtime in Jacksonville.
Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Limit big plays. The Texans offense is explosive and they can strike quickly with Andre Johnson and Steve Slaton. Houston has bogged down in the red zone and the Jaguars must make them go the length of the field to score.
2. Open it up. Teams have stacked the box to stop the run against the Jaguars offense and they need to be more dynamic in the passing game. They paid big money to David Garrard and Jerry Porter, it's time to use them.
3. Win special teams. The Jaguars must keep Jacoby Jones from getting a big return and they must get some big returns of their own. Special teams won the first meeting between these two teams, and it may decide this meeting.
4. Get started early. It's Monday night football and the crowd will be ready to go for Houston. Jacksonville needs to keep them quiet early with some offense.
5. Don't hold the ball. David Garrard has held the ball entirely too long this season and he must get it out sooner to keep his team in front of the sticks.
What to look for:
1. Look for Rashean Mathis to line up against Andre Johnson. The Jags only chance to stop Johnson is with Mathis, but he still may not be enough.
2. Look for a lot of three-step drops. The Texans live with the short passing, three-step drop offense and look for that to continue.
3. Look for Owen Daniels to step up. The talented Texans tight end has a matchup advantage against any of the Jaguars linebackers.
4. Look for Slaton to get shut down. The dynamic Texans rookie will be a main focus of the Jaguars on Monday night. He should run for less than 60 yards.
5. Look for lots of red. It will be another "Battle Red Day" for the Texans, and usually that results in a Jaguars loss. Look for the Texans to play some inspired ball.
Jaguars vs Texans Final Preview
Jaguars Forever Top Stories
2017 Fantasy Football PrimerAre you ready for the 2017 Fantasy Football season? It can't come soon enough, right? This page is a hub where we both want to look forward towards 2017 but also look back at 2016.
Scout FantasyWednesday at 1:26 PM
NFL changes overtime, roster movesThe NFL passed a few resolutions Tuesday at the owners meetings, some of them pretty significant in the way the game and rosters are managed.
Viking UpdateTuesday at 10:25 AM
Top 40 Dynasty Football RookiesHeath Cummings breaks down his ranking of the Top 40 rookies in Dynasty Fantasy Football.
Victor Cruz visits with Tom Coughlin's JagsThe former Giant head coach is evidently given Victor Cruz a chance to prolong his football career.
The Giants Beat05/11/2017