Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Garrard has to be the best QB on the field. David Garrard looked terrible last Monday, and has looked bad for most of training camp. There will be some egg on the Jaguars faces if Byron Leftwich outperforms Garrard.
2. Stop the run with the 3-4. The Bucs will likely try to run the football to take some of the pressure off their struggling offensive line. If the Jaguars can stop the run successfully as they did Monday night, that will go a long way in proving that they can play 3-4.
3. Get better on special teams. Russ Pernell's special teams coverage units were abysmal on Monday night, and they must play better on Saturday.
4. Cover better. Brian Williams had a nightmarish Monday as he is vying for his starting job opposite Rashean Mathis. Williams played so poorly that rookie Derek Cox likely took an advantage for the starting job without even playing.
5. Commit fewer penalties. The Jags were whistled for 11 penalties for 98 yards on Monday. One performance like that is certainly excusable, but two weeks in a row will be disconcerting.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. Eugene Monroe - Monroe had a really nice game on Monday night, and he could line up across Gaines Adams on Saturday night.
2. Tony Pashos - After a dismal 2008 season and a bad start to 2009, Pashos is playing for his job.
3. Derek Cox - Cox and Brian Williams are battling for a starting job. Lets see who looks better.
4. Terrance Knighton - Knighton was a beast on Monday night against the Dolphins backups. Lets see if he can continue that level of play.
5. Troy Williamson - Williamson was excellent on Monday night, and although that performance was positive, he's still a long ways away from securing a roster spot. Lets see if Williamson can build upon that success.
Check out the new JagNation App for the iPhone. More information on iTunes or CLICK HERE
Charlie Bernstein is the Editor-in-Chief of Sports Media Interactive and host of the CB Sports Radio Show on ESPN 1420, covering multiple teams in the National Football League, NCAA, and National Basketball Association. Charlie is a regular syndicated contributor to FoxSports and Sirius NFL Radio, and has been featured on the NFL Network. Charlie is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America. Feel free to contact him -HERE- with questions or comments.
For more, go to: JagNation.com
Preseason Preview: Jaguars vs Buccaneers
Jaguars Forever Top Stories
Who's Next?Which of the Jacksonville Jaguars 2014 Draft Class will "earn" a big pay day?
Jaguars ForeverTuesday at 8:38 AM
Storylines Worth WatchingIt may be a month away from training camp, but here are four storylines worth following once the Jaguars hit the field
Jaguars ForeverTuesday at 6:27 AM
Does Derek Carr's Deal Help Blake Bortles?If Blake Bortles has two solid seasons in Jacksonville, will the Jaguars pay him "Derek Carr-type" of money?
Jaguars ForeverFriday at 5:06 AM
Marrone 26th Best Head Coach In NFLStory on NFL.com ranks Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach Doug Marrone as the 26th best in the league
Ranking The AFC South QuarterbacksThere are many questions the four signal callers in the AFC South must answer this season