The Jaguars showed some improvement in their 24-23 loss against Tampa Bay Saturday night. Let's find out how our keys to the game played out and how our players to watch performed.
Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Garrard has to be the best QB on the field. David Garrard was certainly improved as he completed 10 of 16 passes for 216 yards, including a 74-yard touchdown strike to Troy Williamson. Garrard did have a hard time getting the ball out quickly as he took a few sacks, but his play was solid in his half of action, and Jaguars fans should be encouraged.
2. Stop the run with the 3-4. The Jaguars played more 4-3 than 3-4, but still had a tough time stopping the Tampa Bay running game, as the Bucs gained 159 yards on 38 carries (4.2 ypc).
3. Get better on special teams. The Jaguars coverage units were a problem again, as the Bucs had a few big kickoff and punt returns.
4. Cover better. Jaguars corners, mainly Brian Williams did a much better job against the pass in this game.
5. Commit fewer penalties. The Jaguars bettered their 11 penalty for 98 yard performance on Monday night, but only just slightly. Jacksonville still committed 10 penalties for 53 yards.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. Eugene Monroe - Monroe was very solid at left tackle, and a semi-controversial holding penalty kept him from being perfect. Monroe was lined up against Gaines Adams on a few occasions and handled the talented pass rusher.
2. Tony Pashos - It was more of the same for Pashos, as he was inconsistent.
3. Derek Cox - DNP.
4. Terrance Knighton - Terrance Knighton got his first start and played very well. Knighton is a load in the middle and was able to routinely suck up blocks for others to make plays.
5. Troy Williamson - Williamson started the game off with a bang as he caught a 74-yard touchdown pass on the game's first play, but he would not be done. Williamson caught two more passes and finished with three catches for 147 yards.
What We Learned Against Tampa Bay
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-25Ben Freid gives you hot takes, a man who should be the next Jags GM/Head Coach and of course Jags vs Titans.
Jags Illustrated4:46 AM
Name Five QBs Worse Than Blake BortlesIt sounds crazy to say out loud, but you'll find out quickly just how hard it is to name five NFL quarterbacks who are worse than Blake Bortles. I know, it just doesn’t seem right.…
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 2:00 PM
A Tale Of Two QuarterbacksThere was a franchise quarterback sighting in Jacksonville on Sunday at Everbank Field! Unfortunately for most of the fans that attended the game, it was not Blake Bortles.
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 8:21 AM
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-24Ben Freid gives you his Top 5 takeaways from last night's game. Is Blake Bortles a franchise qb? Also exclusive Marqise Lee interview.
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 4:50 AM