Five most important things for the Jaguars:
1. Score with the first team. The Jaguars first team offense was able to put up 14 points (2 FG's, 1 TD) on four possessions. Still, there were shaky moments and they were going against mostly backups.
2. No turnovers. The Jags committed two turnovers, both by Todd Bouman. It's not the end of the world if the backups commit the turnovers.
3. No big returns. Clearly this was the best the special teams has looked in the preseason as they allowed an average of just 19.7 yards per kickoff return and -1 on the only punt return. The special teams also forced a fumble which turned into a touchdown on the Jaguars first kickoff.
4. Cover better. The Jaguars secondary did a very solid job against mostly backups for Washington.
5. Take some shots down field. The Jaguars didn't get vertical much, but Torry Holt had a 31-yard reception and Marcedes Lewis caught a pass for 24 yards.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. Derek Cox- Playing in his first game as a pro, the rookie was very impressive both in coverage and run support. Cox tallied three tackles, one of which went for a loss. He should be the opening day starter at corner.
2. Mike Sims-Walke- Playing in his first game this preseason, Sims-Walker caught four passes for 63 yards and a touchdown. He was clearly the star of the game.
3. Eugene Monroe/Tra Thomas- Competition over. Monroe will be the starting left tackle.
4. Tony Pashos/Eben Britton- Pashos moved inside to guard and was knocked on his back on the first play. He rebounded and did a solid job overall. Britton was excellent at right tackle and will be the starter.
5. Nate Hughes- Hughes didn't play likely from the lingering effects of last week's likely concussion.
What We Learned Against Washington
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
Super Allen BrosThe Oakland Raiders have one of the worst secondaries in the league. They are near the bottom of the league in terms of passing yards allowed per game, and have made decent…
Jags Illustrated6:30 AM
Know Your Enemy Week 7: Oakland RaidersJacksonville is coming off of a big time comeback win over the Chicago Bears and are probably amped for the opportunity to play against a team that leads the AFC West, the Oakland…
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 12:47 PM
LOCKED on JAGUARS 10-21Host Ben Freid gives you his score predictions for Raiders vs Jags, and Gus Bradley's rebuilding influence.
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 6:50 AM
A Leg Up :An Interview w/ Punter Brad NortmanWhen the Jaguars parted ways with their 2012, 3rd Round Draft Pick Bryan Anger in the offseason, many expected a downgrade in talent at the punter position. Instead, Jacksonville…
Jags IllustratedThursday at 2:30 PM