Jaguars Dolphins Preview
It's the second preseason game so things should get ratcheted up quite a bit. We expect to see the Jaguars starters play through the entire first half and it will likely be the same for the Dolphins. Jaguars fans can expect to see first-round pick Tyson Alualu in action for the first time, as well as defensive end Aaron Kampman. Eugene Monroe will likely play, and Eben Britton and Zach Miller are still questionable.
As you well know, preseason is all about how guys play and less about strategy or what the scoreboard says. With that in mind, here's what to look for:
1. Can the starting offense under David Garrard sustain long drives and cap them with a touchdown? The starting offense was atrocious last week in Philadelphia, and to put it simply, they must play better this Saturday.
2. Will the Jaguars interior line move people? The Jacksonville ground game gained a total of 14 yards on nine carries last week in Philadelphia as they were dominated at the line of scrimmage. With starting jobs up for grabs, the Jaguars interior linemen will need to hold their own against a stout group of Dolphins.
3. Can someone make plays on the back end. Not one, but two starting jobs at safety are up for grabs and nobody has really stood out. Can Anthony Smith make some plays and earn a job? Considine? Nelson? Anyone?
Three players to watch:
1. David Garrard- For the first time since claiming the starting quarterback job in 2007, Garrard is being challenged. If he continues to play scared and be indecisive, he may be out of work. With that said, the last time Garrard was in a competition he won the job and had a career year. Let's hope that the talented quarterback uses this is as a motivating factor.
2. Reggie Nelson- Nelson is officially playing for his job. His draft status can no longer save the disappointing first-rounder and he must make plays and get tougher. Simply put, if "The Eraser" doesn't begin to play with more toughness and brains, the only thing that will be erased is his roster spot.
3. Leger Douzable- Douzable has been stellar in his 12 days as a member of the Jaguars. The former UCF Knight is competing for not only a roster spot, but a spot in the team's defensive line rotation. Let's see how he does against a talented Dolphins offensive line.
Jags Illustrated Top Stories
State of the JaguarsWith a loss to the Ravens on Sunday, the Jaguars next game against Indianapolis in London is by far the most important game they've played so far this season.
Jags Illustrated7:43 AM
Generally Managing the JaguarsThe Jags are 0-3 after losing to the Ravens today at Everbank. Blake Bortles was unimpressive, Gus Bradley is feeling the heat, and the defense gave up a game winning drive. …
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 6:39 PM
HeartbreakerThe Jags lost in heart breaking fashion to the Baltimore Ravens. After a loss, most people look to point the finger and blame someone or something for the result. There are a…
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 12:50 PM
Ravens vs Jaguars Preview - 2 Minute WarningThere is a "Point of No Return" for this current regime. An 0-3 start would all but make the Colts game in London a must win.
Jags IllustratedYesterday at 4:36 AM
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Running BacksRemember all that running back depth the Jags supposedly had all offseason? Apparently that went out the window because T.J. Yeldon touched the ball forty times in two games. With…
Jags IllustratedSaturday at 3:30 AM