Vick: Jets don't have 'open QB competition'

Last season with the Philadelphia Eagles, quarterback Michael Vick found himself in an open competition with Nick Foles. This year with the New York Jets, the starting signal-caller job is apparently Geno Smith's to lose.

The New York Jets' higher-ups have said repeatedly this offseason that Michael Vick will get a chance to earn the starting quarterback job over incumbent Geno Smith.

Vick isn't singing a similar tune.

"I think Geno is going to be the starter," [Vick] said Thursday, via the NY Daily News. "I think he's going to start this season off. I think Geno has every opportunity to go out and have success.

"He's going to get that opportunity."

Vick went on to explain that this year is "different" than last year, when he was battling with Nick Foles for the lead Philadelphia Eagles gig, because while he'll be competing with Smith throughout camp, "it's not an open competition."

The soon-to-be 34-year-old Vick has been reunited with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who coached the Eagles' offense for part of Vick's stint with his former team. His experience in Mornhinweg's system and exceptional skill set may make him the better candidate to start, but according to Vick, he's inherited the No. 2 job.

And as far as tight end Jeff Cumberland is concerned, Vick's take is accurate. "That's the way it's been so far," Cumberland told the News. "Geno's the starter, (Vick's) the backup."

So it's settled. In May. Probably not.


Jets Insider Top Stories