New York Jets get good news on injured cornerback Antonio Cromartie and linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin

The Jets got good news on the injury front

The dark cloud hanging over the New York Jets following the team's 31-10 victory over the Cleveland Browns is gone. In its place? Rays of sunshine. 

Monday afternoon, the Jets announced via Twitter some good injury news regarding cornerback Antonio Cromartie (knee) and rookie linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin (head, neck.) Despite suffering injuries Sunday that appeared unbelievably grim, both players are expected to make full recoveries and return to the field in 2015. 

"(Cornerback) Antonio Cromartie's MRI came back negative," the Jets said via Twitter. "He has a sprained knee and is week-to-week. He has not been ruled out for Monday night. Lorenzo Mauldin (concussion) has been released from the hospital." 

Early in the Jets matchup with the Browns, Cromartie hit the ground hard without being touched. Locked in man-to-man coverage, Cromartie planted his left leg in the MetLife Stadium field turf in an attempt to break on the ball. As Cromartie cut up the field, his knee buckled. The cornerback was helped off the field, put on the trainer's table and later carted off the field with a towel over his head. 

The fear for Cromartie was that the cornerback had suffered a season-ending injury to his ACL, MCL, or both. The fact the team even considers it a chance for him to suit up for New York's Monday night game against the Indianapolis Colts is incredible considering the earlier pre-diagnosis. 

"I'm very concerned right now not knowing anything," Jets head coach Todd Bowles said initially after the game. "When a guy gets carted off, you worry about him until you find out what happened."

While none the less difficult to watch, Cromartie's injury wasn't an uncommon sight in the NFL. Mauldin's, on the other hand, made the more than 70,000 in attendance Sunday fall dead silent. 

After forcing a fumble on Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel, Mauldin lay motionless on the field for a second. He slowly worked himself up, but then immediately collapsed back to the turf face first. Trainers rushed onto the field, put Mauldin in a neck brace, and then carted him off the field and directly to the hospital. 

The Jets announced hours after the victory that Mauldin had full feeling in his extremities, but had suffered a concussion. The team said he would remain at the hospital over night to ensure there was nothing else wrong.

With Mauldin being released, it ensures the doctors found no other complications to his health. 

The Jets will have a light practice today before Tuesday's day off. The team will then return to practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in preparation for the Colts. 


Connor Hughes is the New York Jets beat writer for The Journal Inquirer and He can be reached on Twitter (@Connor_J_Hughes), or via email (


Green and White Report Top Stories