The Jets have until 4 pm today to trim their roster down to 53 players and the cuts have already started rolling in. There are already a few mild surprises and of course this article will be updated as more cuts come in.
- Claude Pelon the undrafted rookie defensive end out of USC has been released, but his agent David Canter tweeted that the Jets will look to stash him on the practice squad if he clears waivers.
- Tarow Barney and undrafted rookie defensive tackle from Penn State has been released.
- Antone Smith the veteran running back never had much of a chance as long as the other running backs got healthy.
- Trevor Reilly the outside linebacker and special teams specialist fate was sealed when the Jets took this offseason to upgrade the depth at linebacker.
- Darryl Morris the cornerback flashed occasionally but was beat far more often and clearly didn't flash enough to secure a spot on the roster.
- Mike Liedtke the undrafted offensive lineman has been waived.
- Doug Middleton the undrafted safety out of Appalachian State had a fantastic start to camp but an injury took valuable reps away from him and the Jets have decided to release him. If Middleton clears waivers he should be a virtual lock for the practice squad. It looks like the Jets will roll with Ronald Martin over Middleton as their fourth safety, I would've kept Middleton though.
- Zach Sudfeld 'baby Gronk' just never came close to living up to the nickname. Note: stop nick naming people 'baby someone,' it's a death kiss. Seriously. Sudfeld being cut could be good news for Jace Amaro as it hasn't looked good for Amaro recently but unless the Jets completely abandon all their tight ends Amaro will stick around for a little while longer.
- Craig Watts a few weeks ago I would've responded to this move with a 'yeah, of course,' but Watts came on really strong the past few weeks and looked to earn a spot on a team lacking any type of depth on the offensive line.
- Freddie Bishop III the outside linebacker from the CFL won't be able to be the next Cameron Wake if he's not on a roster and he's no longer on the Jets roster.
- Taiwan Jones signed with the Jets as an undrafted rookie before last season and finished the preseason strong but like Trevor Reilly, Jones fell victim to the numbers game with an upgraded linebacking core.
- Jeremy Ross the receiver/kick return is a surprising release. He was clearly the best, safest kick return this past month and did some good things as a receiver too. But with Jalin Marshall having such an outstanding camp the Jets clearly decided to go young. Marshall will make this roster, as should Robby Anderson.
- Kenbrell Thompkins, as the only veteran outside receiver besides Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, looked to be a lock to make the roster at the start of camp but he just wasn't able to stay healthy and as he tried to get back on the fields he had to sit and watch Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson and Charone Peake pass him by. With Ross and Thompkins gone it looks like the Jets will be keeping three rookie receivers.
- Tommy Bohanon is another surprising cut but with the Jets having so many hard decisions as other positions they decided to completely punt on having a fullback. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bohanon return to the Jets at some point in the season though.
- Chandler Worthy another young receiver who might have actually had a chance to make the roster if it wasn't for Jalin Marshall, Anderson and Peake. Have to think Worthy is a strong practice squad candidate.
- Kevin Short, after the top four cornerbacks of Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams and Juston Burris none of the other corners really looked to be deserving of a roster spot but Short could be a practice squad candidate.
- Wes Saxton couldn't take advantage of the Jets lack of talent at tight end and has been released.
- Bryson Keeton, poor guy seemed to get beat on every pass thrown his direction. The cornerback will have to hope someone else will give him a chance.
- Dee Milliner the former first-round draft pick is no longer a Jet. Milliner had a great camp but "when the lights came on" during the preseason games he struggled mightily. Between those in game struggles and his injury history the Jets simply decided to eat his $4 million salary instead of having him take up a roster spot. But this means the Jets will be scouring the waiver wire looking for a new cornerback or two.
- Jace Amaro another failed draft pick of the John Idzik era has been sent packing. I was dead wrong on Amaro coming out of college, I thought he was going to be a really good tight end but he was just never able to put it all together. As with the corners I'd expect the Jets to explore the waiver wire to see what's out there with tight ends.
- Breno Giacomini was placed on the PUP list along with Devin Smith. The two players won't count against the active roster but they won't be eligible to return until Week 7. With Sheldon Richardson suspended this takes the Jets down to 53 players. Obviously one of the players who made this round of cuts will end up being cut after the Week 1 game to make room for Richardson and a few of the players who are safe now will be crushed tomorrow when they get released to make room for whoever the Jets sign from other teams' cuts.
Chris Nimbley is the editor-in-chief of JetsInsider.com/NYJScout.com. He can be reached on Twitter (@cnimbley), or via email (email@example.com)null