Jets win preseason opener 10-3

Despite losing the turnover battle on Friday night in their preseason opener, the New York Jets proved victorious over the Detroit Lions, 10-3.

The Jets got on the board first when Jay Fiedler ran the ball in from a yard out on the second play of the quarter number two. The drive was setup on the legs of Curtis Martin who ran three times for 22 yards and the arm of Fiedler who completed 6-of-7 for 50 yards on the 16-play, 98-yard drive.

"He was taking what they were giving him," head coach Herman Edwards said of Fiedler's touchdown scoring drive. "The ball was coming out well; he was slinging it really well."

Fiedler finished the night 7-for-9 for 69 yards with an interception.

It turned out seven points were all the Jets needed on the day.

From the start, however, it appeared that New York would need a lot more.

Joey Harrington was a perfect 9-for-9 for 100 yards but on his initial series Victor Hobson stuffed running back Kevin Jones behind the line of scrimmage for a five yard loss and the Jets sacked Harrington on consecutive plays for a loss of 16 more yards to push the Lions out of field goal range.

Following the Jets scoring drive, which ate up nine minutes off the clock, Harrington and crew drove down inside the ten and turned conservative, running the ball three straight plays. They had to settle for a 22-yard field goal from Jason Hanson.

"Joey was very efficient," Lions' head coach Steve Mariucci said. "We would have liked to score more points getting into the red zone a couple of times but we came up short."

The score remained 7-3 until late in the fourth quarter. Recently signed DeCori Birmingham returned a punt 36 yards to the Detroit 28 with just over three minutes to go. After failing to get a first down, rookie kicker Mike Nugent nailed a 40-yard field goal attempt to put the Jets up by seven.

The subsequent kickoff, however, went out of bounds to give the Lions the ball at the forty with a little over two minutes to play.

"Well, obviously, he made one, which is really good, but then he comes back and kicks the ball out of bounds on the kickoff," said Edwards. "And we do not want to give them the ball on the forty yard-line with under two minutes."

Behind rookie signal caller Dan Orlovsky, Detroit drove down to the Jets' seven yard line before spiking the ball with three seconds left on the clock.

Orlovsky tried to get the ball to Mike Williams in the end zone but safety Kerry Rhodes was able to get a hand on the ball to preserve the victory.

Jets Insider Top Stories