Center Nick Mangold addressed the media for the first time on Tuesday, following the morning session. Mangold, in the final year of his contract, expressed disappointment at being unable to get a new deal from the organization. Last week during the final session of OTA drills, Mangold said he was uncertain whether he'd attend mini-camp.
When asked about the status of renegotiations, Mangold was terse.
"It's still at zero," Mangold said. "It's deeply disappointing."
Mangold said that he tries to do the right thing on and off the field by the organization, but he's becoming frustrated at the lack of ability on the part of the organization to move forward on what he considers a reasonable contract. The center said that he wants to pledge his future to the Jets and that he'd like to be with the Jets a "long time."
It is uncertain whether Mangold foresees a holdout, saying that he hopes to have the situation resolved before training camp. He said that he will play this season under the terms of his current contract because "it's my contract, it's what I signed." But Mangold quickly followed up that he would be deeply disappointed if nothing could be resolved.
As to whether he'll be able to reach a contract after the current impasse, Mangold was uncertain.
"I don't know," Mangold said, later adding that "I am optimistic." Kristian R. Dyer can be reached for questions, comments and crude remarks at KristianRDyer@yahoo.com and followed at twitter.com/kdyer1012