BATTLE OF THE WEEK
CB Dre' Bly vs. WR David Kircus. For three years the practice field competition has gotten hotter and hotter. Kircus, who gets little playing time in games, believes in going 100 percent on the practice field and it doesn't always set well with the veteran defensive backs.
The competition flared between Bly and Kircus in the Thursday practice and coach Steve Mariucci sent both of them to the locker room early.
OTHER BATTLE FRONTS
DE Kalimba Edwards vs. Bill Swancutt: Swancutt is a long shot to unseat Edwards for a defensive line roster spot but the Lions are still looking for the production from Edwards they had in mind when they made him a second-round pick in 2002
C Brock Gutierrez vs. Tyrone Hopson: The backup center position is still being contested. Kyle Kosier is capable of backing up both guards and both tackles, and Hopson was the backup to C Dominic Raiola last year but Gutierrez is currently listed as No. 2.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
After missing the final 11 games of his rookie season and all except the first three plays of his second season because of collarbone breaks, WR Charles Rogers has to show the Lions he can hold up and be productive. He got a start with two catches for 28 yards in the first preseason game and made his first touchdown catch -- on a 29-yard throw from Jeff Garcia -- in the second game.
- First-round pick WR Mike Williams is stuck at the No. 4 receiver, learning the offense and playing himself into game condition. In two preseason games, he has caught four passes for 54 yards, but is seldom on the field with the first-team offense
- Second-round pick DT Shaun Cody is playing with the second-team defense, getting virtually all of his playing time at DT
- Third-round pick CB Stanley Wilson is likely to make the 53-man roster as a backup CB and special teams player with no pressure to move into a starting job
- Fifth-round pick QB Dan Orlovsky has played most of the second half in both of the Lions' preseason games and has shown promise as a developmental project who is likely to be the No. 3 QB in 2005. He was 8-for-17 with 87 yards against the Jets, 9-for-14 and 120 yards against the Browns, but was intercepted once in each game
- Sixth-round pick DE Bill Swancutt is listed as the No. 3 RDE, but is getting considerable playing time in the preseason and pressured the QB on a couple of instances against Cleveland.
- Sixth-round pick OLB Johnathan Goddard is making the adjustment from a down lineman at Marshall to a standup LB in the NFL, but his speed and athletic ability give him a chance.
- DT Shaun Rogers was kicked in the left shin in the Cleveland game Saturday; initial examination indicated it was only a bruise.
- DT Marcus Jasmin suffered injuries to his left knee and ankle against the Browns but the team was uncertain of the seriousness of the injuries.
- FB Cory Schlesinger is recovering from a broken right fibula and is expected back for the Oct. 2 game at Tampa Bay at the earliest.
- RB Jamel White (hamstring) missed his second week of practice and did not play in the Cleveland preseason game.