- The Lions are getting closer with contract talks with first round pick quarterback Joey Harrington and second rounder defensive end Kalimba Edwards. Harrington will report to quarterback camp today without a contract but there is talk that he will sign one very soon. The Lions don't foresee any hold outs with any of their rookies and all should be in training camp by the time the full team reports on Thursday July 25.
- Terry Fair will not be ready when the Lions open training camp with two-a-days on July 26. He will be put on the 'Physically Unable to Perform' list, but most likely will come off the list in less then two weeks and be able to practice with the team in full drills.
- Wide Receiver Germane Crowell will also be put on the 'Physically Unable to Perform' list but he is ahead of Fair in terms of progress and has been doing some individual drills running and cutting. He is keeping the cutting and the route running to a limited amount.
- Another receiver that is injured is kick returner Desmond Howard, who had off-season shoulder surgery, and the Lions don't think he will be fully healed until the start of the regular season. This is not a good thing for Howard who is already on the hot seat and needs to show more in training camp to keep his roster spot.
-Defensive End James Hall has added some strength in the off-season to go along with his speed, he hopes by doing that, that he will have better success at the right defensive end spot, both in his pass rush moves and stopping the run.
- Offensive lineman Matt Joyce, who did not participate in the Lions off-season practice because of a knee injury, is expect to miss sometime in training camp as well while his knee heals.
-Undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Eddie Drummond out of Penn State has caught the eye of both Matt Millen and head coach Marty Mornhinweg with his quick feet and his ability to run after the catch and make people miss.
- Another player that Marty Mornhinweg has been really impressed with his off-season improvement is second year wide receiver Scott Anderson. Anderson in the off-season has gotten stronger and add some weight to his frame, he also is running his routes better and making sharper cuts.
- The Lions don't expect outside linebacker Brian Williams, who when under minor knee surgery to be full healed until sometime in August. With that said the Lions will use Barrett Green at the strong side linebacker spot with Jeff Gooch starting at the weak side linebacker spot until Williams is fully healed.
Notes: The Detroit Lions agreed to terms with seventh-round draft picks Tight End Matt Murphy and Offensive Linemen Victor Rogers.
Fans: Excited about training camp? Share your thoughts on the Lions at: