Stafford continues to remain inactive following a knee cap injury suffered at Chicago, while Johnson was absent with a thigh issue.
Once again, however, Lions' coach Jim Schwartz was vague on whether or not Stafford -- or any of his injured starters -- would play against Pittsburgh
"You asked me that on Monday also and I don't want to set any hard set rules and say if a guy doesn't practice on Wednesday he doesn't play on Sunday or if he doesn't practice on Wednesday and Thursday, or if he misses two days all those things," said Schwartz.
"Every case is an individual basis. We'll just take it all individually and see. Some guys will need practice on those days. Some guys won't. I've seen a lot of different situations and we'll just leave it there."
Defensive tackle Sammie Hill (ankle), RT Gosder Cherilus (shoulder), and DE Dewayne White (hamstring) also missed practice.
Each player, along with Johnson, is expected to play against Pittsburgh.
Stafford's case is a bit more muddied, however.
With a bye week following the traditionally aggressive Pittsburgh defense and a visit to Green Bay, many in the media and in team circles believe Stafford might sit the next two contests and return to action after the bye.
The Steelers, meanwhile, are preparing for Stafford, rather than veteran Daunte Culpepper.
"Based on what Jim's saying at this point I am (preparing for Stafford), yes," said Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin.
Notes from Wednesday's Practice:
- Detroit practiced in shorts and shoulder pads in the team's indoor facility.
- The Lions claimed S Marvin White (Dallas) off waivers and inked rookie LB Zack Follett from their practice squad. To make room, the team dumped LB Darnell Bing and placed WR Adam Jennings on injured reserve.
- The Lions signed WR Logan Payne to their practice squad today. The 6'2, 205-pound receiver had spent the last two years on Seattle's practice squad after joining the franchise in 2007.
- The following players have been listed on Detroit's injury report (per Lions Media Relations): T Gosder Cherilus (shoulder), D Sammie Hill (ankle), WR Calvin Johnson (thigh), S Kalvin Pearson (quad), S Ko Simpson (hamstring), QB Matthew Stafford (knee) and Dewayne White (hamstring) did not practice; DT Grady Jackson (knee) and LB Ernie Sims (shoulder) were limited in practice; DE Cliff Avril (hamstring) and RB Kevin Smith (shoulder) had full participation in practice.
- The following players were listed on the Pittsburgh Steelers Injury Report today(per Lions Media Relations): LB Andre Frazier (shoulder), G Chris Kemoeatu (ankle), RB Willie Parker (toe) and WR Hines Ward (not injury related) did not practice; S Troy Polamalu (knee) was limited in practice.