Here were some on-the-fly highlights ...
- Third cornerback Sam Shields sustained a concussion while contemplating running an interception out of the end zone during the third quarter. He'll go through the testing process this week.
- Outside linebacker Frank Zombo hyperextended his knee. He played with the injury.
- The wind was a big factor but Aaron Rodgers threw the ball well. "It was a challenge."
- Vikings quarterback will be McNabb or Ponder: "You prepare for both quarterbacks." Packers will watch tape of Ponder in fourth quarter at Chicago and in the preseason. "We'll be prepared either way."
- Morgan Burnett performed "extremely well" with the cast on his broken hand. He won the "big hit" award on Sunday. Challenge of playing safety was evident when Steven Jackson stiff-armed him on first series. After that, he "settled in and played very well."
- Hawk and Bishop won game balls on defense; Aaron Rodgers on offense; Mason Crosby on special teams.
- Hawk's "gesture" after sack: McCarthy didn't see it but was told about it after the game. "He and A.J. had a short conversation about it." ... Hawk said he was joking. McCarthy said he won't try to explain his sense of humor.
- Undefeated: "We're trying to be undefeated in the second quarter of the season" ... never mind the whole season. Second quarter of the season is the three games before the bye, meaning 7-0 with a win at Minnesota on Sunday.
- Said need to improve isn't "coach-speak." Concerned with the "fit" of the run defense, a big deal with Adrian Peterson coming up.
- Has to be prepared for "surge of energy" that comes early in dome games.
- Shields "learned a lesson" on the field but doesn't want to take away a player's aggressiveness. "Any time you handle the football, you're a primary decision-maker."
- Overlooking opponents: "We're a much more mature team" than last year. "We're not overlooking the Minnesota Vikings, I can promise you that."
- Constantly making corrections: "That's the challenge of constantly chasing perfection," as he borrows a Lombardi phrase. "It's about winning. We're about winning football games, so we're accomplishing the first goal."
- Likes maturity of team, even with 10 rookies. Liked the padded practice on Thursday.
- Lions-Niners coaches scuffle: "Am I surprised by the attention? No." ... "I think I'm OK in that situation." Protocol: "There's a respect that goes with this game of football (but) I'm not going to judge other people."
- OL continuity: Likes Wells and Sitton; Lang is learning more each week. "Our tackles, we've played different players each week at tackle. I thought Bryan played very well" coming off the injury. Newhouse graded out well. "You'd like to line up and play with five guys week in and week out."
- Mike Neal: "That's a good question." Workouts are going well; rehab has picked up. Were hopeful that he'd be ready around the bye and seems on pace, though McCarthy didn't talk to trainers specifically about him today. "Headed in the right direction." Won't play this week, though.
That's all from here ...