Plays of the Game: Favre injured, Barber TD

Brett Favre's legacy gained an extra chapter Sunday against the New York Giants. But instead of building on it, the Packers gave away the momentum mere moments later and wound up suffering a bitter 14-7 defeat.

On the Packers' initial drive after a scoreless first half, Favre came out slinging. Favre completed three of his first five passes to start the half, and one of those incompletions resulted in a pass-interference call against the Giants' Will Peterson for a 20-yard gain.

After his third completion to Donald Driver on the possession, Favre dropped back to pass again. Nobody broke open, and Favre started to retreat as Giants defensive tackle William Joseph began to beat center Grey Ruegamer on a bull rush. Favre kept backpedaling and, despite a stiff-arm to Joseph's facemask, was unable to break free. He wound up falling backward, and with no arms free to brace against the fall, the back of Favre's helmet slammed against the Lambeau Field turf.

Backup quarterback Doug Pederson relieved Favre, but the Packers gained just a yard on the next two plays to set up a fourth-and-5 situation. Favre told coach Mike Sherman he had shaken the cobwebs and re-entered the game to a thunderous cheer.

Instead of a safe call such as a handoff or short pass, Favre looked deep. It's not certain how good Favre's vision was at the moment, but he could see well enough to see Javon Walker breaking free on a corner route. Before Walker had even made his break between a pair of Giants defenders, Favre lobbed a pass toward the front right corner of the end zone. The pass wasn't perfect, but Walker made a leaping grab and then powered his way in for the 28-yard touchdown.

With the crowd revved up and momentum fully on the Packers' side, the defense gave it all up. After a short kickoff into the wind gave the Giants great field position, a Kurt Warner pass gained 9 yards to the 48-yard line. On a second-and-1 play, the Giants stunned the 70,000-plus in attendance as Tiki Barber ran untouched 52 yards for the tying score.

On the play, the Packers blitzed backup linebacker Torrance Marshall off the right side of the Giants' formation. The path of Marshall's blitz took him out of the play. Safety Darren Sharper broke to the line of scrimmage at the snap to fill Marshall's spot, but was easily blocked out of the way by Giants H-back Visanthe Shiancoe. Defensive end Aaron Kampman was stood up and eventually flattened by left guard Jason Whittle. Pulling right guard Chris Snee sealed off weakside linebacker Na'il Diggs. That left middle linebacker Nick Barnett as the only player between Barber and 45 yards of clear sailing, but Barnett bit on a small juke by Barber, overran the play and the game was tied.

Packer Report Top Stories