Seahawks run past Packers, 34-24

Matt Hasselbeck knocked the rust off after a four-game absence, and Shaun Alexander returned to MVP form Monday as the Seattle Seahawks overcame four first-half turnovers to beat the Green Bay Packers, 34-24, at snowy Qwest Field in Seattle.

Hasselbeck, playing for the first time since he sprained his right knee Oct. 22 against Minnesota, threw three touchdown passes in the second half as the Seahawks (7-4) rallied in the second half of the coldest pro football game ever played in Seattle.

Alexander finished with a season-high 201 yards rushing on a franchise-record 40 carries (5.0 per carry avg.) on a slick surface. The game-time temperature was 34 degrees with a snowfall that made it difficult to see the field markers in the first half. As the snow subsided in the second half, Alexander and the Seahawks picked up their momentum and averted a 20-14 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Nov. 19.

Seattle ended the game with 235 rushing yards and 382 total yards.

Alexander is the first running back to rush for more than 200 or more yards against Green Bay since Greg Bell of the Los Angeles Rams rushed for 221 yards on Sept. 24, 1989.

"The ability to run the football and stop the run, we didn't accomplish that tonight," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "We wasted our opportunities tonight."

The Packers (4-7) were hoping to take advantage of Seattle's rush defense, which gave up more than 200 yards to the 49ers, but the Packers finished with just 51 total yards rushing.

Running back Ahman Green was held to 41 yards on just 14 carries. He also had six catches for 46 yards.

Packers quarterback Brett Favre made his 252nd straight start despite an injury to his ulner nerve in his right arm on Nov. 19 against the New England Patriots. Favre had thrown just two interceptions in the previous six games, but was intercepted three times by the Seahawks, including two in the final six minutes when the Packers were trying to overcome a 10-point deficit. His fumble on the final play of the game turned out to be Green Bay's fourth turnover of the night, equaling Seattle's total.

Alexander ran for 42 yards on four carries to drive Seattle to its go-ahead score early in the fourth quarter. Hasselbeck, 24-5 in starts at Qwest Field, ended that drive with a 4-yard touchdown pass to Darrell Jackson for a 27-21 lead.

After Green Bay cut the deficit to three, Alexander got the Seahawks close, then Hasselbeck made the best throw of his inconsistent night - a 3-yard touchdown to Jerramy Stevens in the back of the end zone to make it 34-24 and essentially put the game away.

"Having the lead after three quarters and not being able to sustain it in the fourth quarter is disappointing," McCarthy said.

The Seahawks got a big break on the drive when defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins was penalized for hitting Hasselbeck on the back of the helmet as Hasselbeck threw incomplete on third down. Television replays clearly showed that Jenkins never hit Hasselbeck in the back of Hasselbeck's head, but the Seahawks got a first down on Green Bay's 35 and went on to score.

Hasselback finished 17-for-36 for 157 yards and three touchdowns to offset his three interceptions. Seattle snapped a three-game losing streak, including the playoffs, against Green Bay.

Favre fell to 17-15 on Monday nights and 3-2 against his old coach, Mike Holmgren, who combined with Favre for Green Bay's Super Bowl title in 1996. Favre finished 22-for-36 for 266 yards with three interceptions - a season high and a 58.3 passer rating. The first was a force intended for the well-covered tight end Bubba Franks after the Packers moved to the Seahawks' 27 late in the first quarter.

Favre connected with wide receiver Donald Driver for a 48-yard catch-and-go touchdown over the middle, giving the Packers a 21-12 lead early in the third quarter. Driver, running a slant route, juked a defender over the middle and raced untouched for his fifth touchdown of the season. Driver finished with three catches for 91 yards.

The Packers intercepted Hasselbeck three times in the first half, and scored two touchdowns off the turnovers for a 14-12 lead. Linebacker Abdul Hodge, starting in place of the injured Nick Barnett (broken hand), returned Hasselbeck's fumble 29 yards for his first NFL touchdown with 1:51 left in the half to put the Packers ahead 14-9.

But Seattle's Nate Burleson took the ensuing kickoff 30 yards to Green Bay's 50, and the Seahawks moved to Green Bay's 10. Hasselbeck threw incomplete three straight times and the Seahawks were forced to settle for Josh Brown's fourth field goal of the half, a 28 yarder that closed Seattle to 14-12. Brown also made attempts from attempts 45, 41, and 37 yards earlier in the half.

Cornerback Charles Woodson got his first of two interceptions in the first half when Hasselbeck's second pass of the game deflected off of defensive tackle Ryan Pickett's helmet and into the hands of Woodson at the Seahawks' 36. Favre completed a 26-yard pass along the sideline to wide receiver Ruvell Martin and Ahman Green ran it in from 5 yards out for a 7-0 Green Bay lead with 12:42 left in the first quarter.

Cornerback Al Harris and Woodson each had interceptions in the first and second quarters, but the Packers were unable to capitalize. Kicker Dave Rayner's 28-yard field goal attempt was blocked.

Rayner made a 34-yard field goal in the fourth quarter to close the Packers to 27-24. The scoring drive was highlighted by Favre's 35-yard pass to Driver to Seattle's 17.

Packer Report Top Stories