Barnett was fined $117,647 by the NFL — equivalent to a one-week portion of his $2 million salary — after appealing a one-game suspension.
"If you think about it," Barnett said Wednesday, "I was talking to myself yesterday and trying to think about the steep fine as far as how much it was, but the league has to do what they have to do in order to keep the NFL in the right direction."
On July 1, Barnett completed a deferred prosecution agreement that allowed him to avoid prosecution. He had been charged with criminal disorderly conduct after allegedly knocking drinks from the hands of two women at an Appleton nightclub, throwing one of the women's cell phones against a wall and later in the night knocking one of the women to the floor.
He wound up being convicted on a civil count of disorderly conduct, costing Barnett $753 in fines and costs.
Barnett went to New York to meet with league officials a couple of weeks before training camp. His only conversation with Commissioner Roger Goodell, oddly, was about the Brett Favre saga that had gripped the NFL at that time.
"It was definitely an experience that I don't want to experience again," Barnett said. "I'd rather go on a more positive note, I'll tell you that."
Barnett did his homework before meeting with league officials — comparing his punishment with similar penalties — and didn't think he'd remain suspended. Turns out he was right.
"I'll just move on," Barnett said. "I get to play Monday night (in the opener against Minnesota). The pocket's a little lighter, but I still get to play."
Bill Huber is editor of Packer Report and PackerReport.com. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org