- Coach Mike McCarthy is giving nine players the night off, including starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Harris and Woodson are healthy; they spent Thursday night practicing on the scout team.
Tramon Williams and Will Blackmon are starting at corner.
Also out are cornerback Pat Lee (back), linebackers Clay Matthews III (hamstring), Nick Barnett (knee), Brad Jones (back) and Jeremy Thompson (groin, defensive ends B.J. Raji (just signed) and Justin Harrell (back).
While defensive end Johnny Jolly will play, Michael Montgomery will get the start.
- We've gotten a number of e-mails about this in the past. So, some of you will be happy to know the end zones say Green Bay and Packers rather than the old-school slashes from the past couple years.
- The Packers Alumni for the game are from the not-too-distant past: center Mike Flanagan and tight end Keith Jackson.
Scott Wells started at center with Jason Spitz at right guard. Helped Ryan Grant pick up a third-and-1.
On touchdown, Rodgers stepped up in the pocket. Big hope for him to run through, but Driver got behind Abram Elam and Rodgers threw a beauty for a 53-yard touchdown.
- Spitz at center and Josh Sitton at right guard on second drive. Rotating those spots by drive.
- On Grant's touchdown, Daryn Colledge, Chad Clifton, Donald Lee and Korey Hall all with good blocks.
- Matt Flynn at quarterback as quarter ends. Rodgers finishes 5-of-10 for 102 yards and one touchdown. Packers lead 14-0.
- Mason Crosby misses a 60-yard field goal. Hit halfway up the left upright. Incredible! Wind at his back but still ...
- Crosby misses from 55 wide right.
- No. 2 offensive line has not played well. Flynn's been hit and too many bad penalties (false start, illegal formation, ineligible downfield).
The Packers lead 14-0 at halftime after Anthony Smith picked off Brady Quinn on third-and-goal from the 6. Great play by Smith against Braylon Edwards.
Packers had seven penalties for 37 yards in the second quarter.
- Brian Brohm at quarterback for the rest of the game. He needs to do something.
- Just got some halftime quotes from Rodgers. On the Driver TD: "They dropped eight, protection was great from the star. I just moved in the pocket, and when I stepped up, tried to look the safety off to the outside, and throw it down the middle. He made a great adjustment and the ball was on the money."
- Nothing on the drive after Desmond Bishop's interception. Durant Brooks got the first punt, a 39-yarder from midfield with a 3-yard return.
- Bishop with a sack. The guy is an impact player. Unlike A.J. Hawk.
- Total yardage through three quarters: 305-141.
- Attendance, by the way: 69,091.
- Brohm's second interception of the night was too high for JaRon Harris.
- Packers pass 200 rushing yards with about 6 minutes left in the game.
- A drive with nine consecutive runs nets a field goal of 45 yards by Crosby. 17-0 with 5:28 to go. Impressing work by Tyrell Sutton and Kregg Lumpkin on the ground.
- Late pressure by Bishop leads to the interception by Charlie Peprah.
- Packers take a knee with first-and-goal at the 2. The crowd boos but that's it. Packers win 17-0. Finish with 230 rushing.
- Best part of this performance is the defense did well while showing almost none of the blitz packages that Dom Capers has been installing. Of course, the Browns didn't score a touchdown in their final five games last season, and a stupid penalty and a bad interception took six or 10 points off the board.