- With Durant Brooks out with a hip flexor - the same injury that bothered him for a couple of days in training camp and led to his released last year in Washington, Jeremy Kapinos averaged 43.4 yards per punt and yielded only 1 return yard. His best of the night was from near midfield, a high floater that was fielded at the 6. Brett Swain let the Bills off the hook by hitting the returner after a fair catch was signaled.
- Speaking of special teams, the Packers held dangerous Leodis McKelvin to 16.3 yards on three kickoff returns.
- Tyrell Sutton ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing with 140 yards. He added 49 and a touchdown against Buffalo.
Postgame comments from McCarthy
- On Flynn: I don't have a medical evaluation for you. Shoulder sprain.
- Collins X-rays were negative on his ribs. He fell on Brandon Chillar's helmet.
- "We're off to a good start defensively." Takeaways are "something special." Nine in two games.
- Rouse and Peprah missed game: Rouse is day to day with hamstring, Peprah has knee sprain. That's three injured safeties with Collins. Short week vs. Arizona.
- Starters: A lot of positive information, but things need to correct. No reason to strike up the band yet.
- Durant Brooks: Hip flexor, same injury as why he missed a day last week.
- vs. Bills' no-huddle offense: No communication problems, which was a key. "Great work for the defense."
- Raji: "I thought he got some penetration. Live legs, I think he's going to be an exciting young player for us."
- Brian Brohm: Didn't have production you were looking for, but happy to get a touchdown drive.
- Offensive line settled: Hopeful to get strong opinion on solidifying line after looking at film, but no guarantees.
Packers win 31-21
Tyrell Sutton's 3-yard touchdown run capped a 13-play, 75-yard drive as the Packers put the finishing touches on their victory.
The Bills actually won the game from a yardage persepctive 363-292, but the Packers forced five turnovers to give them nine in two games.
Flynn out for game
The Packers lost backup quarterback Matt Flynn with an undisclosed injury. He was hit and fell on his arm in the fourth quarter and finishd the drive but is not coming back in.
Packers lead 24-7 after third
The Packers' preseason shutout came to an end with 1:09 left in the third quarter but the dominating performance continued.
The turnovers just kept on coming, with Desmond Bishop's interception the fifth of the game.
Midway through the quarter, the Packers lost reserve tight end Devin Frischknect to a serious shin injury. Play was delayed for several minutes and he was carted off the field and taken to a hospital after a short gain on third-and-long.
No. 2 quarterback Brian Brohm was woeful after replacing Aaron Rodgers late in the first half. He finished 9-of-14 for only 51 yards and an interception.
In the first half, Nick Collins was taken to the locker room for X-rays on his ribs. An update was not provided.
Attendance was 68,908.
Packers rolling 24-0 at half
Behind a 201-102 edge in yards and four turnovers, the Packers lead the Buffalo Bills 24-0 at halftime.
The No. 1 offense still hasn't punted during the preseason, with the Packers turning it over on downs once and getting two touchdown passes from Aaron Rodgers and a touchdown run from Ryan Grant.
Rodgers finished 8-of-9 for 98 yards and two touchdowns, running his preseason stats to 13-of-19 for 200 yards and with three touchdowns.
The Bills failed to cross midfield with Brady Poppinga ending the first drive with an interception, Johnny Jolly's strip setting up another turnover, Cullen Jenkins' strip setting up a Poppinga recovery and a Brad Jones' strip setting up a Desmond Bishop recovery.
The punting battle is down to one -- at least for Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.
Durant Brooks is one of eight players who will not play tonight. It's unclear what's wrong with Brooks, who had a strong performance on Thursday night. That means all of the punting chores will be handled by Jeremy Kapinos, who held a slight lead in the competition.
Also out tonight are cornerback Pat Lee (back), safeties Charlie Peprah (unknown) and Aaron Rouse (hamstring), outside linebackers Clay Matthews III (hamstring) and Jeremy Thompson (stingers/groin), inside linebacker Nick Barnett (knee) and defensive end Justin Harrell (back).
Also for the Packers, Jason Spitz will start at center ahead of Scott Wells, Josh Sitton will start at right guard in place of Spitz and Korey Hall gets the nod at fullback ahead of John Kuhn.
Among the Bills' inactives are Terrell Owens and first-round pick Aaron Maybin. Owens is out with a sprained toe. Maybin, the 11th pick of the draft, finally signed on Friday.
- The Packers Alumni for this game are Doug Evans and Steve Odom. Evans played corner for the Packers from 1993 through 1997 while Owens was a receiver and kick returner from 1974 through 1979.
Live in-game chat
Publisher Bill Huber chatted with PackerReport.com subscribers during the game. To join our chat on Wednesday night, click here.