- It was an ugly first half for both the Carolina Panthers and the Indianapolis Colts as both teams turned over the ball a number of times, five times to be exact. The wet weather is certainly playing a major factor as the Panthers have lost one fumble and the Colts have lost two, but they have put the ball on the ground two other times. The turnovers have led to all the points as the Panthers scored 10 points on their first two drives and the Colts have added two field goals off their two fumble recoveries.
- The Panthers' offensive line has been hit by injuries this week as the team started the game with Ryan Kalil ruled out due to an ankle injury and was replaced by Fernando Velasco. The team then lost left guard Andrew Norwell after their first drive to a leg injury and was ruled out for the remainder of the game. It was certainly a little bit of a surprise to see Chris Scott get the nod to replace Norwell instead of Amini Silatolu. The team's replacements have done a decent job with Newton only being sacked once but the team has suffered a bit running the ball up the middle.
- Jonathan Stewart was responsible for the team's lone touchdown on a strong run to the left side, one that required a number of broken tackles. However, other than that he has been kept in check with only 17 rushing yards on 11 carries. Newton has had a little more success with 23 rushing yards but neither has a run over 10 yards. However with the weather the way it is, I don't see the Panthers going away from the run game even though it has been ineffective to this point.
- Cam Newton has been wildly ineffective through the air in the first half but has not had much help from his weapons around him. Newton connected on a 48-yard pass in the final two minutes to Ted Ginn Jr., which helps the stat line look much better, but if that pass is taken away he was 5 of 16 for 40 yards and one interception. Again, this isn't all Newton's fault as he has seen a number of passes dropped, including two by tight end Greg Olsen.
- Even though the offense has struggled, they have put enough points on the board to have a lead thanks to a dominating performance by the defense. The Panthers have held Andrew Luck to only 37 yards passing and this offense to only 114 total yards of offense. This group has been led by veteran Roman Harper who has eight total tackles, one pass defended and one fumble recovery.