- For the third straight game, the Carolina Panthers will be without starting running back Jonathan Stewart. There was some optimism earlier this week about his availability but he did not practice enough and the coaching staff decided to give him more time to rest. He will be joined by back up Fozzy Whittaker on the sidelines today. The team will use two rookies at running back in Cameron Artis-Payne and Brandon Wegher, who is active for the first time this year.
- The team will also be without safety Kurt Coleman, who is dealing with a foot injury of his own. The Panthers will start Tre Boston in his place, who was the starting safety at the end of last year, alongside Roman Harper. The Panthers also have Dean Marlowe active for today's game.
- Cam Newton not only will be without his top running back but also his top wide receiver, Ted Ginn Jr.. This means an increase in playing time for Devin Funchess and most likely more targets for Philly Brown and Greg Olsen.
- The loss of Ginn and Whittaker will also have a major impact on special teams as Ginn was the primary punt returner and Whittaker was the primary kick returner. The team will turn to Robert McClain or Brenton Bersin on punt returns and Mike Tolbert, Joe Webb and Brandon Wegher on kickoff returns.
- Defensive tackle Star Lotulelei missed practice on Friday with an illness going around the locker room. However, this does not appear to be an issue as he is active for today's game.