The Carolina Panthers failed to reach a new deal with one of their stars from last year, cornerback Josh Norman, but hope to get something reached with Kawann Short, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. On Tuesday, general manager Dave Gettleman told the media that "contract negotiations are going on" with the Pro Bowl defensive tackle.
The fact that Gettleman was willing to say that negotiations are still going on is a great sign considering there have been reports that the discussions "were effectively dead" according to Jason La Canfora. However, just last week head coach Ron Rivera was asked about the negotiations and he believed that a deal would get done eventually.
Gettleman was asked about the comments by the head coach and he responded, "KK is a Pro Bowl defensive tackle. You wouldn't want one? Come on."
Short is coming off an incredible season, one that included leading the Panthers with 11 sacks. He was a disruptive force in the middle of this defensive line and at times looked unblock-able. Now, as good as Short looked on the field, it has only been one season of him playing at this kind of level. This could cause the organization some concern and they may not be willing to offer a mega contract, one that appears will need to be north of $15 million per season.
If the two sides hope to reach a new deal, time is not on their side. Last year, Gettleman said "”I will not negotiate in-season. Once the regular season begins, that’s it,” according to Black and Blue Review. This is a stance that doesn't appear to change, which means they have just over a week to hammer out the details.