It was supposed to be the end of the Colts' winning streak and a national coming out party for the 2006 Patriots. Instead, the Indianapolis defense forced 5 turnovers and the Colts won 27-20 to remain unbeaten.
The Colts take on Buffalo this week, while the Patriots face their division rival, the Jets. But all anyone could talk about this week was last Sunday night's game.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week:
10. "We can certainly execute better than we did. It's frustrating. We put a lot into this week. We expected to go out and play really well and we didn't."
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
Translation: "All week you guys debated who was better, me or Peyton. And then I go out and throw four interceptions? Unbelievable. Can we just skip right to the playoffs? You all know how good I am in the playoffs."
9. "I wish I would have played a little better, but the team did a good job getting the victory
They've moved on. I've moved on. It's great to be on a team right now that's 8-0 and playing well."
- Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri
Translation: "Can you believe I missed those kicks? Me neither. I need to get back inside that warm, climate-controlled dome I play in. Enough of this outdoor stuff. I don't need to deal with that anymore."
8. "What can you say about Marvin? His catch, that was an all-timer. But for us, that's really not a major surprise. He's done that before, but that was big time."
- Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on Marvin Harrison's touchdown catch
Translation: "Boy am I glad I have my receivers and not Tom Brady's. If Tom had my guys, he'd be throwing for 4,000 yards every year."
7. "I went out, ran and decided to go."
- Colts safety Bob Sanders
Translation: "I wasn't missing this game. These guys needed me. Did you see me flying all over the place, stopping the run? Where's my game ball?"
6. "We felt we could run the ball and they couldn't stop us."
- Patriots guard Logan Mankins [Boston Globe]
Translation: "I have no idea why we didn't just keep trying to run it down their throats. They've got the worst run defense in the league. I guess you'll have to ask Coach Belichick."
5. "I don't know. Have a big ceremony for it."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if he'll retire the red sweatshirt he wore during the loss to the Colts
Translation: "Look, I wear whatever's on top of the pile. The last thing I think about is what the heck I'm going to wear. I'm not going clubbing on a Friday night with my friends. I'm coaching a football team."
4. "I think we have a lot of guys on the team that are sore. It was a physical game. I would put him in that category."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on the extent of Rodney Harrison's injury
Translation: "By sore I mean a broken collarbone. He's a football player. A broken collarbone equals sore to a football player. He'll be back in time for the playoffs."
3. "I just take my hat off to our team, going into New England, a very, very tough place to play against a good ball club and winning a real emotional, energy-filled game."
- Colts head coach Tony Dungy
Translation: "I can't believe we won. I can't believe I out-coached Bill Belichick. Can somebody tape all the highlight shows for me?"
2. "In the end, we just didn't make enough plays to win. So it was disappointing. It's just time to move on."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "Why don't you guys ask me about how I feel about Eric Mangini or something? I'm done talking about the Colts game. Done."
1. "That loss hurt bad. But part of the reason why we haven't lost two games in a row is you learn from it and you try to go out and play at a much more consistent level."
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
Translation: "There's no way we're losing to the Jets this week."
The Patriots and Jets square off in an important division game on Sunday afternoon. But the Patriots take the field with the knowledge that last week was one that got away. To put that loss behind them, they'll have to do what their coach keeps asking them to do: take it one game at a time and continue to improve each week. If they do those two things, they might just have a rematch with the Colts scheduled for January.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"