It was a heck of a week. Between recapping the loss to the Jets, looking ahead to a Brady-Favre match-up, welcoming Vinny Testaverde to the team, talking about the new field at Gillette Stadium, and wondering if Bill Belichick would ever wear a suit on the sidelines, there were more quotes than I knew what to do with.
It wasn't easy to narrow them down, but here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Patriots-Packers:
10. "When we got into the business, the main player, or actually the only player that controlled this artificial turf industry, was AstroTurf. There, I said the word. I get like a chalkboard scratching. But we buried them on February 13, 2004. That was a happy day."
- John Gilman, CEO of FieldTurf
Translation: "I hate AstroTurf. I hate natural grass. Your field was atrocious last week. You guys are going to love this FieldTurf stuff."
9. "Hopefully we won't ever need him. And I've told him that. I hope he doesn't play at all. But if something happens, at least we have ourselves protected there."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on signing quarterback Vinny Testaverde
Translation: "Hopefully we won't ever need him. It's just nice to have an adult standing back there to help the backup in case we need him."
8. "I'm not saying that. I didn't say it and don't even start that. He's an emergency quarterback. He's the third quarterback. He'll be inactive for every game as the third quarterback unless something happens to the other two guys. I don't know how I could possibly be any clearer about that. I don't think there's any need to ask that question six more times to get the same answer either. He's the third quarterback."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on whether Vinny Testaverde will compete for the backup role with Matt Cassel
Translation: "Do you guys have hobbies? Any at all? You need to get some. How about knitting or stamp collecting? You don't need to dissect every situation we have around here as if it's the Zapruder film."
7. "I have no idea. I was playing some good golf. I guess because golf season is over and nothing else is going on in my life."
- Patriots quarterback Vinny Testaverde on why he's with the Patriots
Translation: "I wouldn't mind a Super Bowl ring. That's a pretty good reason, right?"
6. "We're making a lot of good plays out there. It's not all terrible. We're not getting sacked on every play. We're just not doing enough at the critical times. I think we all hope we do it this week and that we give you guys something good to write about next week as opposed to 'The Demise of the Patriots.'"
- Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
Translation: "God help us if we lose this week. 'Run for the hills! They've lost three in a row! The sky is falling.' That's what you guys would be saying."
5. "I don't want to go into this game and try to outplay Tom or show him up or anything like that. I want to help this team win. We need a victory, regardless of who we're playing against."
- Packers quarterback Brett Favre
Translation: "I'd love to go into this game and outplay Tom and show him up. That's what competition is all about. You bet I'll be flinging the ball all over the place trying to make plays this week."
4. "No, I don't. I'd have to rent one of those."
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on whether or not he owned a Fedora
Translation: "I like hats. I miss the days of men wearing hats all the time. It's a good look. Although I'm not sure it would match my gray sweatshirt."
3. "Right now it is what it is. We are 6-3. Wherever that puts us in the pack, that's where we are, in the middle of the pack somewhere. We are at the back of the best teams and the top of the worst teams. Wherever we are, that's what we are right now. We've lost two games in a row."
- Patriots wide receiver Troy Brown
Translation: "The part of Bill Belichick will now be played by Troy Brown. Hey, I'm a lot better looking, right? And more fun to talk to."
2. "I think we all have our own reasons for why we wanted to beat New England. Eric has his reasons, I have my reasons, and we have ours as a team. The bottom line is you have to eventually stand up and say, 'Look we have to win one of these games.' They've beaten us seven times in a row. Hats off to our coaching staff for setting the mindset and the tone."
- Jets quarterback Chad Pennington on if last week's win was extra special for head coach Eric Mangini
Translation: "I feel like a weight has been lifted. I can smile again. We can walk the streets with our heads held high. And Coach Mangini hasn't been this happy since, well, ever I think."
1. "I said, 'Good game.' That was it."
- Jets head coach Eric Mangini, when asked what he said to Bill Belichick after last week's game
Translation: "I wanted to say, 'How do you like that you pompous, arrogant, sonofa--?' But I didn't. Maybe next time."
The last time the Patriots lost two in a row, it was at the hands of the Jets. The last time they lost three in a row, it was at the hands of the Packers. If history repeats itself again, there will be a lot more gnashing teeth in the coming week. But if New England can stop the losing streak in historic Lambeau Field, Patriots fans will once again have their eyes on the playoffs.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"