Meanwhile, the Dolphins, who had won four in a row, lost at home to the Jaguars. Perhaps they were looking ahead to this week's grudge match with the Patriots.
It was a week spent rehashing last week's nail biter with Detroit, and a week of rumors about Dolphins coach Nick Saban's future in Miami. Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 14, Patriots-Dolphins:
10. "It is such a point of emphasis for us. We are still struggling with it, but the nice part is that we can redeem ourselves next week. That is what we are going to try to do."
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, on his team continuing to win even with all of their recent turnovers
Translation: "Why do you think I keep running with the football? I don't trust anyone else to hold onto it. I give these guys a couple chances a game. That ball keeps hitting the ground and I'm going to become the next Michael Vick."
9. "Yeah, sure. He warmed up at receiver in pre-game. I was a little bit surprised to see him in there ahead of Bradford or Williams, but he is a good athlete and he did work at receiver. Like I said he warmed up as a receiver. That's not that surprising."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "That's Mike Martz for you. His ego's probably bigger than mine. He thinks he can fit anybody into his offense and make it work."
8. "Not my idea. Not my idea."
Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, on backup quarterback Josh McCown playing wide receiver
Translation: "Just throw me the ball. We're gonna use backup quarterbacks at receiver now? Come on! What's next? Lining the punter up in the slot? The ball boy playing running back?"
7. "No, we played a terrible game today. We can't keep playing like this. We are just getting by and you can't do that. We need to play better if we want to continue to win."
Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel when asked about the team's success against the NFC North
Translation: "We're playing the NFC North. There are no more Green Bays or Detroits on our schedule, or in the playoffs for that matter. We're heading to Miami this week, where we always struggle. It's time to crank it up a notch. Guess I need to get a few more interceptions."
6. "Do you think I taped it? I have no idea."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if Tedy Bruschi was wearing a different brace on his wrist this week
Translation: "Paging doctor Belichick! Paging doctor Belichick! We need you to tape up a guy's wrist! I'm the head coach. Do you think I'm concerned with the tape on Bruschi's wrist?"
5. "Fourth and one, we were looking for a measurement. I couldn't see how close it was. If it would have been a bit closer, we might have taken a shot there, but the way we were playing, especially on defense during that time, I felt good getting up by eight."
Lions head coach Rod Marinelli
Translation: "I screwed up, all right? Is that what you want to hear? On the road against one of the top teams in the league, we could have put them away right there. I screwed up."
4. "We have a lot of confidence in him. I do. I think the team does as well. He's been solid. He's been consistent. He's been here from day one. And we had good competition in camp too. It wasn't like there wasn't anybody else here. There was good competition and he stood up to it."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, on rookie kicker Stephen Gostkowski
Translation: "Adam who?"
3. "It's nothing I can control. It's really nothing I can control. I have to focus and worry about the things that I can control. I can't control that, what some Alabama newspaper puts in the paper that's probably unsubstantiated from anybody that knows what's really happening. It's ridiculous."
Dolphins head coach Nick Saban, on if he is upset that various news sources keep reporting that he has an interest in the Alabama head coaching job
Translation: "Those damn hicks in Alabama. They just make stuff up for their papers sometimes."
2. "You get into Week 13 or 14, you're going to start to get aches and pains and no one is really 100 percent out there. But this is where you have to suck it up. If you suck it up and play hurt, tape it up and put some heat on it, try to help the ball club win."
Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi
Translation: "Concussion? Put some ice on it. Broken bone? Tape it up. Hamstring, groin pulls? Just keep playing. This is football, guys. You have to get dragged off this field."
1. "We were down by eight. No I wasn't relieved at all."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if he were relieved when the Lions went for a late field goal instead of trying for the first down
Translation: "Are you guys the ones from those Coors Light commercials? If you're going to ask that caliber of dumb question, the least you could do would be to offer me a beer."
The Patriots have lost 6 of their last 8 games in Miami. And Tom Brady's played some of the worst games of his career inside Dolphin Stadium. But if the Patriots want to make another trip to Miami in February, they need to play a lot better than they did a week ago. The Dolphins would like nothing better than to hurt their division rival's playoff chances. This will be a good test for the Patriots as we enter the season's final four weeks.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"