The Patriots won the game that everyone said would be their toughest remaining challenge. Even with one of the Steelers guaranteeing victory, the Patriots cruised to the win in the second half, using huge passing plays to burn Anthony Smith -- the Steeler who had guaranteed the win.
Sitting at 13-0, the Patriots can clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a win. They would also become just the second team in NFL history to begin a season 14-0 with a win.
But that's not what people are talking about. They're talking about how the Patriots are facing the team that blew the whistle on them in Week 1, leading to a $500,000 fine for Bill Belichick and the loss of their first round draft pick. Most experts are predicting a huge win for the Patriots, with only the weather standing in their way.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 15, Patriots-Jets:
10. "We've played against a lot better safeties than him, I'll tell you that."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if the Patriots were targeting Steelers safety Anthony Smith
Translation: "[Laughing maniacally.] Of course we were targeting him. Man, that kid's stupid. And he stinks."
9. "I don't care what Coach Belichick has to say after the game regarding our performance. I compliment them on a great game and we move forward. His opinions are irrelevant to us because we focus on what we do and how we prepare Do we need to get better? Absolutely. But it won't be because [Belichick] said it."
~ Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin
Translation: "Tell Bill to worry about his own team. I've got my own problems here, OK? Tell him to keep his opinions to himself."
8. "When I took off everyone bit up and I knew that if it made it back to Tom, it would be a touchdown. It took like forever for the ball to come down. I looked back and it was still in Tom's hand and I was like 'come on, let's throw it.'"
~ Patriots wide receiver Jabar Gaffney on the touchdown play from Moss to Brady to Gaffney
Translation: "That was the most fun I've ever had on a touchdown field. Ever! You should have seen the look on Smith's face when I blew past him. And I know that Tom was just holding the ball as long as he could so that I could catch the ball right in Smith's face."
7. "We will see them again."
~ Steelers safety Anthony Smith
Translation: "I'm not guaranteeing anything. I'm just saying we will see them again. It might be in the playoffs, it might be next season, it might just be on TV. But we will see them again."
6. "If that is the measuring stick, we're not close."
~ Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, in regard to the Patriots
Translation: "That team is good. Scary good. And I told my team that if they ever guarantee anything again that I've got a guarantee for them. I guarantee that they'll be cut from the team."
5. "You listen to four forecasts, you get four different versions of it. Sooner or later, maybe we'll play in it. I don't know. Maybe we won't, but we've practiced in rain, wind, snow, night, afternoon, morning. There's things you can learn from every experience and practice [and] game, so there's some we got yesterday. Whether it will have application on Sunday or not, I don't know. I'm not really worried about it. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Maybe it will some other time. I don't know."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, on preparing for bad weather
Translation: "I watch channel 7, channel 5, channel 4, and even channel 25. One guy says 10 feet of snow, one guy says 3 inches of rain. We'll either make snow angels or do Singin' in the Rain karaoke-style. Either way we're going to destroy the Jets."
4. "It's something every week. It's something people say, or do. You can't control any of it One week it's one thing and the next week it's another. It's almost like the Enquirer and everyone's making up this or that. That's not the case. We're just really trying to achieve up to our potential and that's the reality."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady
Translation: "This ain't reality TV, guys. We're not doing an episode of The Hills or Survivor. It's the NFL. We practice, we destroy our opponents, and then we go home and go to bed. OK, sometimes we date super models. But other than that, this ain't a soap opera."
3. "We're going to do the same thing. We try to win every week, believe it or not."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if there was any extra motivation to beat the Jets this week
Translation: "The guy cost me half a million bucks and a number one draft pick. What do you think?"
2. "I feel like this is an opportunity for us to continue down the path that we've continued [on] in terms of the progress that we've made -- especially lately -- in a lot of key areas. You get a chance to play an outstanding team on the road, a division opponent, and that's the challenge we face."
~ Jets head coach Eric Mangini, when asked if he feels that the upcoming game with the Patriots is the Jets' "Super Bowl"
Translation: "This is our Super Bowl, our Christmas, and our $1,000,000 lottery ticket all rolled into one. This game is all we have left to play for this season. And we want to win this game. We want to stuff it right down these undefeated cheaters' throats."
1. "The handshakes and the high-fives and all that. Right now my attention is on the New York Jets, and that's really all I'm thinking about, is how I can prepare our team to the best of my ability to prepare for the game and play it on Sunday."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, on the postgame handshake with Jets head coach Eric Mangini
Translation: "Eric and I have actually worked on a little routine this week with some chest-bumping and fist pumps and all that stuff the kids do nowadays. You're going to love it. It will be more fun than the Hand Jive. Other than that I've spent my time this week coming up with some creative plays to run that will humiliate the Jets.
Is 70 points out of the question this week? Will the Patriots try and run the double reverse, the flea flicker, or the Statue of Liberty play? Will the weather impact the game? These are the questions everyone has heading into the showdown with the Jets. Once you've made your preparations for the coming Nor'Easter, settle in for a long winter's afternoon football game. It could be history in the making this week.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"