Since we last translated the quotes of the week, the Patriots made history by going undefeated, Bill Belichick won the Coach of the Year Award, Tom Brady won the MVP, and the Jaguars went on the road and beat the Steelers in Round 1 of the playoffs. In other words, not much.
The bye week is over and the undefeated season is in the rearview mirror for the Patriots. It's time to get back to the business of playing football. Their first opponent is a team that everyone was nervous about as the season was winding down: The Jacksonville Jaguars.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into the Divisional playoffs, Patriots-Jaguars:
10. "Everyone's going to enjoy this one. This happens once every 35 years. We'll celebrate for a couple of days then get ready to go back to work."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, on the team going undefeated in the regular season
Translation: "Take that, Mercury Morris and all the rest of you '72 Dolphins. And everyone else who called us out over Spygate. These 16 wins were for you."
9. "I want to acknowledge the Coach of the Year thing yesterday from the AP."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "Toss that plaque in the trophy room with the rest of the rings and hats and stuff that I have. I've got a couple more games to win. And another trinket to take home."
8. "As I have learned over the course of my time with the Patriots, the most meaningful accomplishments are always the ones I have celebrated with my teammates. I am certainly proud of the success that we have enjoyed so far this season."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, when asked about winning the NFL Most Valuable Player Award
Translation: "MVP! MVP! Come on, chant it with me! MVP! MVP! Now maybe I can do some bigger commercials like Peyton Manning does instead of these crazy bottled water advertisements I've been doing."
7. "He deserves it. I have thought for a long time that there is no past or present quarterback I'd rather coach than Tom Brady and I am more certain of that every year he plays."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "The day Tom retires from playing is the day I retire from coaching. He's like a son to me. A son who just happens to be the best quarterback to walk the planet."
6. "Why am I going to get mad over something like that? Jesus came to save the whole world and he still got persecuted."
~ Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs, when asked if he gets upset by the criticism he heard about his coverage
Translation: "Did I just compare myself to Jesus? Hey coach, give me another slice of that humble pie! And make it a big slice, OK?"
5. "While they were pounding each other's heads, you're sitting back on your couch, man, with popcorn and chilling."
~ Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, on having the bye week while New England's next opponent had to play a playoff game
Translation: "It was kind of tiring watching them run around and take big hits last week. I almost felt bad for them. For about a second or two."
4. "It would depend on who the team was. I think that win or lose, it sometimes comes down to one play or two plays or something. You could get a lot more out of a tape that had more relevance to you, win or lose."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if he had two tapes to choose from if he'd rather watch a tape of an upcoming opponent's game in which they lost or one in which they won
Translation: "If I had two tapes to choose from? What are you inferring? Maybe you should have said, 'If you could choose between a legally obtained tape and an illegally obtained one, which would you choose?' Just let it go, guys. We cheated, we got caught, we paid the penalty, and then we kicked butt for 15 more weeks. Let it go."
3. "This ain't news. I've heard it in the past. They finally got caught...Do like the NCAA and kick them out of the playoffs or something. Put them on probation. They can't go to no playoff games."
~ Jaguars defensive end Paul Spicer in September after the Patriots were caught using a video camera in violation of NFL rules
Translation: "I can talk big now! It's Week 1 for crying out loud! The playoffs are a long way away, and either we won't be playing them or they'll have forgotten all about this! Right?"
2. "To me it was a little disrespectful. We went out there and played still. If they say we cheated, we removed the camera Week 1. What happened in the next 15 weeks of football? We finished the season off making history, so whatever he's talking about, he can keep it to himself."
~ Patriots defensive end Jarvis Green, responding to Spicer's comments [ESPN Radio]
Translation: "That guy ever heard of Anthony Smith? People say stupid things about us and we make them pay. Every time. We're coming for you, Spicer."
1. "You shouldn't need what somebody else says to get you motivated. This is the NFL. It's a playoff game. You guys are undefeated. We're coming up there. That's enough right there to get motivated. I know I'm motivated."
~ Jaguars defensive end Paul Spicer
Translation: "Me and my big mouth."
The road to the Super Bowl and 19-0 begins tonight against the Jaguars. Paul Spicer's right. The Patriots don't need any more motivation than that. But history has shown that it never hurts to have additional motivation, either.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"
Official Game Thread