After a high-intensity practice on Tuesday, the Raiders and Cowboys didn't hold anything back during their second joint practice.
The intensity produced a few more scuffles between the teams but luckily none included the fans this time around.
Of injury note, the Raiders saw the return of cornerback Chimdi Chekwa but he was unable to finish practice. Wide receiver Juron Criner missed practice with a groin injury.
Here are some quick observations from today's practice with the Cowboys:
- Linebacker Kaluka Maiava came to today's practice ready to hit. He had several big hits on the ball carrier. One hard hit occurred when Cowboys wide receiver Devin Street caught a ball across the middle before Maiava hit him hard and safety Larry Asante cleaned it up, prompting a "benches-clearing" scuffle on the field. Maiava also made a nice play diving to defend a pass to Dwayne Harris.
- Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant showed the Raiders why he is one of the league's best in the game right now. Bryant got the better of the Raiders secondary for the most part, especially veteran cornerback Carlos Rogers.
- Speaking of Bryant, he and Raiders rookie safety Jonathan Dowling got into it a little during practice. Dowling made a hard tackle on the sideline on Chris Boyd, prompting Bryant to come to the defense of his fellow wide receiver. Bryant continued to jaw at Dowling after the play and in between snaps, despite not being on the field for the snaps. They eventually met on the field as they jawed back and forth, with veteran safety Charles Woodson coming to his rookie's defense. The confrontation didn't progress further than some talking back and forth.
- Dowling continues to be around the ball. Dowling made a nice play on a overthrown ball from Tony Romo, batting the ball up in the air allowing Nick Roach to dive and make the interception.
- Rookie TJ Carrie also saw his production from Napa translate to practice against the Cowboys. Carrie stuck with speedy wide receiver Terrance Williams down the sideline to knock the pass down. Carrie could very well develop into a key piece for the Raiders defense, especially if D.J. Hayden remains out for much longer.
- Safety Jeremy Deering made an interception of his own when Cowboys Brandon Weeden threw a ball high.
- Running back Kory Sheets broke a long run for a touchdown towards the end of practice going untouched.
- Wide receiver Greg Little had a bad drop today when he got open for a deep touchdown but had the ball bounce off of his hands in the end zone.
- Quarterback Matt Schaub finished up practice with a perfect ball high and into the back of the end zone for Denarius Moore to go up and get the ball for the touchdown.
The Raiders flew back to Alameda right after Wednesday's practice and take on the Detroit Lions on Friday at O.Co Coliseum.