The Oakland Raiders returned to the field for the second day of practice and this time had linebacker Sio Moore on the field.
The return marked a short stint for the linebacker on the Physically Unable to Perform list of just one day.
Besides Moore, there was still no sign of rookie tight end Clive Walford nor Rod Streater and Trent Richardson who are on the Non-Football Injury List. There’s still no word as to why Walford isn’t at practice, and head coach Jack Del Rio still isn’t divulging any information.
Del Rio did acknowledge the fact that it is nothing serious, and said he would be sure to let the media know if it was.
“If there was anything like that, I’d let you know,” Del Rio said after practice .
The Raiders will return to the field Sunday afternoon and will have pads on for the first time this camp, something Del Rio is looking forward to.
“End of the acclimation period,” Del Rio said after practice. “We can put the pads on tomorrow and that’s what we’ll do.”
Putting pads on tomorrow will give the coaches and the team a much better opportunity at evaluating the team.
That said, here are some quick hits from today’s practice:
- It was a rough day passing the ball for the team, and the offensive play of the game may have come on the first play of team drills. Derek Carr found tight end Mychal Rivera on a nice sideline pass where he caught it over the shoulder. Rivera had a nice day and continues to make some plays with Walford out.
- Fullback Marcel Reece seemed like he was integrated into the offense a little more, making some nice catches. His best catch came with linebacker Malcolm Smith draped all over him as the caught the ball. Reece then did some push-ups just to pump up the season ticket holders in attendance.
- Kenbrell Thompkins also had a nice day, catching everything thrown his way. He also made a nice catch deep down the field with a defender all over him. He continues to impress me throughout the offseason, which makes you wonder which wide receivers they’ll end up keeping when camp is over.
- We had a first interception during team drills today. After a great chemistry on the first day of camp, Derek Carr rolled out to his right and motioned to Michael Crabtree to go deep down the sideline but safety Nate Allen beat him to the spot to haul in the interception. Ball was thrown just a little too deep to give Crabtree a chance to haul in the pass.
- In another first of training camp, we also had our first scuffle. Granted it was small, but rookie OL Jon Feliciano got into a little bit of extracurricular pushing and shoving after the play with what looked like linebacker Neiron Ball. Del Rio mentioned afterwards that things do get heated on the field, but players need to know how to conduct themselves.
- After losing the last team drill yesterday and having to do up-downs, the offense once again lost out on the final team drills and had to do some extra push-ups this time as the consequence.
Practice resumes tomorrow at 4:25 p.m. and is slated to be the first one in pads.