The Raiders returned to their practice field in Napa with one of their young players ready to go for the first this training camp.
Rookie tight end Clive Walford returned to the field for his first reps. There still wasn’t any sign of wide receiver Rod Streater, who remains on on the non-football illness list. Running back Roy Helu, Jr. also remained out.
Here are some quick hits and observations from today’s practice:
- Running back Latavius Murray had some nice turns today where he broke it outside and finished the run strong. Murray has quietly put together a nice camp.
- The Raiders switched up their roster coming off the off-day as second-year linebacker Khalil Mack was listed as a defensive end. Head coach Jack Del Rio didn’t say much about the move, but acknowledged that you’ll see the young star at a variety of positions throughout the game.
- Wide receiver Michael Crabtree hauled in another deep pass from quarterback Derek Carr, drawing some cheers from the crowd. Crabtree has consistently been impressive during camp.
- Carr looked for his rookie wide receiver Amari Cooper in the end zone but cornerback TJ Carrie leaped up to attack the ball at its high point and knock the ball down. Carrie has continued to look like the best cornerback on the roster and could make a big leap this season.
- Wide receiver Brice Butler made a nice catch over the middle from backup quarterback Christian Ponder and then turned on the burners to outrun the defense and get into the end zone.
- Second-year offensive lineman Gabe Jackson continues to be impressive in blocking, especially in the run game. On one play, Jackson blocked a defensive lineman and then burst up to block on the second level to get Murray into the open field.