The Oakland Raiders took the field with pads on again Monday, their final practice before the first off day of camp on Tuesday.
Veteran offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele returned to the field after missing Sunday's practice, though he was wearing a sleeve on his left calf. Head coach Jack Del Rio said he was a full-go when he returned to practice today.
Rookie quarterback Connor Cook also returned to the practice field after missing Sunday to attend his friend and former teammate Michael Sadler's funeral.
Lets take a quick look at some observations from Monday:
- The rookie Connor Cook has struggled mightily throughout the offseason and during camp, though he did make a beautiful throw into the back of the end zone, finding tight end Mychal Rivera. Cook needs to continue to develop if he wants a chance to battle with backup quarterback Matt McGloin for the second-string job.
- The Raiders have struggled to find a reliable return man but are hoping that changes this year and it may be with of of their undrafted free agents. Today the team was working out Taiwan Jones, DeAndre Washington, Jalen Richard, Jayden Mickens and Joe Hansley were taking turns getting reps.
- The passing game was much crisper for the offense after a rough Sunday. Second-year tight end Clive Walford got in on the action, beating linebacker Ben Heeney for a touchdown on a tight throw by Derek Carr.
- Cornerback David Amerson hasn't slowed down even after his contract extension this offseason. He continues to make plays when on defense, including a nice diving pass defensed this afternoon while covering wide receiver Michael Crabtree.
- Rookie safety Karl Joseph found himself in coverage against Crabtree in the end zone and did a solid job blanketing him and forcing the incompletion. We haven't seen him in coverage a whole lot and it'll be interesting to see more of it.
- Undrafted free agent Johnny Holton was relatively quiet during Organized Team Activities and mini-camp but has been making some noise during the team's time in Napa. He finished yesterday's practice with two big gains on cornerback SaQwan Edwards and followed it up with some pretty catches on Monday. He seems to have a nice chemistry building with backup quarterback Matt McGloin.
- The Raiders have remained relatively healthy during camp, but did see cornerback SaQwan Edwards walk gingerly off the field to the clubhouse with a trainer and not return.
The Raiders have their first day off Tuesday, but will return to the practice field on Wednesday.