Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports

Rams Officially File For Relocation

The St. Louis Rams filed for relocation with the NFL on Monday.

The news that many had been waiting months or years to hear finally came out on Monday night. The St. Louis Rams had officially filed for relocation. 

After the news broke, the team issued a two-sentence statement. 

“The St. Louis Rams informed the National Football League today that the Rams propose to relocate to the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area,” said the Rams’ statement. “The relocation would be effective for the 2016 NFL League Year.”

The Rams, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders all notified the NFL on Monday of their official desire to relocate to the Los Angeles area. 

“The applications will be reviewed this week by league staff and three league committees that will meet in New York on Wednesday and Thursday — the Los Angeles Opportunities, Stadium, and Finance committees,” the NFL said in a statement. “The applications will be presented for consideration at next week’s league meeting in Houston on Tuesday and Wednesday. The relocation of a franchise requires the affirmative vote of three-quarters of the NFL clubs (24 of 32)."

Rams owner Stan Kroenke has been linked to a $1.86 billion stadium project in Inglewood, Calif., for more than a year. But it remains unknown whether he will get the required votes needed to move the Rams back to the Los Angeles area. 

To try to prevent the Rams from moving back to L.A., a St. Louis stadium group appointed by Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon and led by co-chairs Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz put together a proposal for a new $1.1 billion stadium to be built along the Mississippi River in downtown St. Louis, not far from the Rams’ current Edward Jones Dome. 

That proposal, which includes $400 million in public funds, was approved by the St. Louis City board of aldermen last month and delivered to the NFL and team owners before the Dec. 30 deadline.

The cities of San Diego and Oakland have not been able to resolve their stadium issues with actionable projects.

The St. Louis stadium task force released its own statement on Monday night. 

“We’ve anticipated this filing from the Rams for more than a year,” the statement said. “It’s why we started working in November 2014 to produce a viable St. Louis stadium proposal for consideration by the Rams and the National Football League. That proposal was delivered last week to the NFL and team owners, and we feel extremely confident that it will be well received as the league weighs its options in the weeks ahead.”

You can follow Nate Latsch on Twitter at @NateLatsch or email him at natelatsch@gmail.com


LA Rams Report Top Stories